Author Topic: I have some serious problems  (Read 264 times)

I have some serious problems
« on: August 05, 2024, 09:23:01 AM »
hello everyone,
for a month I have been trying and trying again to use CWP7pro on Centos 8 minimal, I have made a lot of progress and I am satisfied.
Finally I decided to format everything and install Centos 9

I installed Centos 9 and then I installed CWP7PRO following the guide.
I noticed the following problems:
1. If I change the root password from the "Admin Web Panel", from SSH I can only access with the new password as root, from the "Admin Web Panel" I can no longer access, neither with the old password nor with the new password. I was forced to format, I could not find an alternative solution.
2. I created a package and then a new user; I assigned a password to this new user and the package created. From the "User Web Panel" I cannot access. The login always fails, but in FTP I access without problems; I can access via "User Web Panel" only if I assign the same password as the root user to the user.
3. In the "WebServer Settings -> Select WebServers" section, I choose and install "Nginx & Varnish & Apache". In the main dashboard of the "Admin Web Panel", Varnish is not listed among the services and using php-fpm generates a 502 error. Instead, it works if I select the "Nginx & Apache" WebServer.
Can you tell me if these are known bugs or if I am doing something wrong?
Do you recommend that I go back to Centos 8?
Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Regards

Re: I have some serious problems
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2024, 05:04:07 PM »
Do not use CentOS Stream (a beta quality OS) for production. Use AlmaLinux 8, then upgrade to AlmaLinux 9 when CWP's EL9 support comes out of beta.

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2024, 08:00:08 PM »
hi,
thanks for the tip.
Today I formatted the disk and installed Almalinux 8. Then I used the commands to install CWP in version 8.
I immediately noticed the difference in performance when loading a heavy site. With CWP version 8 it takes about 7 seconds to load each woocommerce catalog page. With CWP version 9, it takes even less than 3 seconds to load. An impressive difference.
How is this possible?
If I try to install CWP for version 9 in Almalinux 8 what happens? Will it work? or will I have the same problems I had with Centos 9 and CWP for version 9?
thanks.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2024, 09:53:13 PM »
You will encounter some bugs, esp. CWP->CWP Migration, certain lack of PHP versions (probably not a deal killer unless you need bleeding edge). I've heard of a few other bugs in CWP for EL9, so I personally am holding off until support has stabilized.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2024, 02:25:21 AM »
There is no CWP version difference, it's still (currently) 0.9.8.1181

The only differences is how the  backend is loaded.

In AL9 the powertools repo has been renamed, and some packages have different names.

Which is why you have to install ClamAV before CWP, and then 2 other after CWP until the script can figure out the changes.
And is more a compatibility issue, mentioned above.

You shouldn't see any speed difference if you are running apples to apples with the same swap.
Apache, is Apache whether on AlmaLinux, Debian, FreeBSD, etc.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2024, 04:54:03 PM »
hello everyone,
I redid everything by installing Almalinux 9 and running the commands for installing CWP. I confirm that the performance increase is notable.
It is also true that my hardware is modest, also because this is a study phase for me:
CPU: Intel i5 5th gen
RAM: 8GB
DISK: 250GB SSD M2

Before formatting, I wrote down the versions of the various services, I report them below:

Almalinux 8:
Nginx 1.27.0 (updated by me)
Apache 2.4.57
Mysql 10.4.34
Varnish 6.4.0

Almalinux 9:
Nginx 1.26.1
Apache 2.4.56
Mysql 10.5.22
Varnish (not installed, i don't know why ... maybe a bug?)

In both configurations I preferred not to use Varnish, but I installed the brotli extension and on the site I configured the "W3 Total Cache" plugin to use br compression.
Anyway, between the two configurations, what caught my attention the most is the difference in Mysql version. In your opinion, can the Mysql version increase the site performance so much?
If I format again by putting Almalinux 8 and updating the Mysql, in addition to using a stable and well tested system, would I be able to obtain the same performance that I currently obtain with Almalinux 9?
Thanks for any suggestions.

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2024, 06:12:06 PM »
hello everyone,
I finally did it. I formatted the pc again and now it works with:
Almalinux 8:
Nginx 1.27.0 (updated by me)
Apache 2.4.57
Mysql 10.5.25-MariaDB
Varnish 6.4.0

So after updating Mysql and reinstalling the brotli compression extension, I finally got the desired performance.
So, while waiting for the final version 9 (hopefully soon), I will work with version 8.
Thanks for your help.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2024, 07:59:09 PM »
That's good news.

Now make a snapshot, and upgrade Apache to 2.4.62 that fixes ALOT of CVE's.

CWP also installs MariaDB, not MySQL.
You might want to upgrade that also to the latest LTS, which is 10.11 (Current is 10.11.8)

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2024, 06:36:34 AM »
Hi Starburst,
thank you so much, now i'm working with:
Almalinux 8
Nginx 1.27.0
Apache 2.4.62 (even though this version doesn't appear in the CWP section of "Apache Re-Build". It's stuck at version 2.4.57; maybe because I updated via command line?)
Mysql 10.5.25-MariaDB
Varnish 6.4.0

Unfortunately I am not yet able to take Snapshots, but I would be very interested in being able to do it.
For example, I would like to do a Snapshot and Full Server Restore test. Do you know a tutorial or video tutorial to learn how to do it?
Finally, I did not understand the MariaDB speech. Can it still be updated? How?
thanks for everything.

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2024, 05:44:37 PM »
Snapshot are usually handled as a service offering by your provider.
If you are running a dedicated server, snapshot may or may not be offered.
In that case you might want to look at Acronis or iDrive.

To update Apache from the CLI, see:
https://www.alphagnu.com/topic/24-cwp-%E2%80%93-control-web-panel-install-latest-apache-2462-version/

You can also see the MariaDB upgrade instructions at:
https://www.alphagnu.com/topic/23-upgrade-mariadb-1011-in-cwp-centos-7-centos-8-stream-almalinux-78-rockylinux-78/