Author Topic: Centos 8 not being updated any more and Centos 7 coming to end of life.  (Read 4882 times)

Hello,

What options have you considered now that Centos 8 won't be updated anymore and Centos 7 is in 2024.

Will you migrate to Debian? Or, what other options have you considered?

I ask because I just purchsed a second Pro license, but want to use it after I find out how you will proceed.

C.N.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 06:44:51 PM by CarlosN »

Re: Centos 8 not being updated any more and Centos 7 coming to end of life.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 06:43:55 PM »
There are 2 paths that I'm aware of so far.  The CWP team is offering Cent OS Stream support through their own delayed repos and also RHEL 8 is now free for up to 16 servers.

Here is an article about RHEL 8 being free for up to 16 servers: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/01/centos-is-gone-but-rhel-is-now-free-for-up-to-16-production-servers/

Here is the email about how the CentOS Web Panel team will be handling Cent OS Stream support in the future since CentOS 8 is EOL at the end of 2021.

---

Hello,

As some of you already know that CentOS/RedHat decided to support only CentOS Stream in the future, here is some info about the end of the life for each version:

- CentOS 8 till the end of 2021
- Centos 7  till June of 2024
- CentOS 8 Stream will be only supported as an upstream version

Our plans are to have custom delayed repositories of the CentOS stream which will allow us to make the CentOS Stream a stable version.
We have already deployed and tested our own repositories for CentOS 8 Stream and we will keep multiple repositories allowing you to choose between the latest (default CentOS Steam), stable(CWP-repo), and delayed multiple stable versions(CWP-repo).
Management of the repositories for CentOS 8 Stream will be done from the CWP.admin and our plan is to have it released this month in December 2020.

Many people are scared about the CentOS 8 Stream but we see this as an opportunity to provide the latest new features to all our clients and with our custom repositories we can also guarantee stability.

There is also some news about additional new Linux branches coming from CentOS, we will probably support the best of them.
Some already announced coming soon is the CloudLinux OS.

Please note that currently we still recommend CentOS 7 as the best version to get installed as it also provides our CWP Secure Kernel which is very important for server security and especially for shared web hosting servers.
http://wiki.centos-webpanel.com/cwp-secure-centos-kernel

Best Regards

Hello,

What options have you considered now that Centos 8 won't be updated anymore and Centos 7 is in 2024.

Will you migrate to Debian? Or, what other options have you considered?

I ask because I just purchsed a second Pro license, but want to use it after I find out how you will proceed.

C.N.

CloudLinux has released their CloudLinux 8, and CWP already works on this release.

centos 8 stream is supported, you can use it with CWP