Author Topic: Centos 7 still the recommended version?  (Read 10394 times)

Centos 7 still the recommended version?
« on: February 28, 2022, 11:47:24 AM »
I will buy a new server I read on the official documentation that Centos 7 is the recommended version, we also have the centos 8 stream delayed or even Rocky Linux. This information is updated? Do you still recommend Centos 7?

When the Centos 7 reach the end of life it's possible to update for example to Centos Stream or I will need to create a new installation and migrate manually everything?

It's a little strange to install a OS with about 2 years of life, it's a lot of work to migrate websites and emails and everything related

Re: Centos 7 still the recommended version?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 12:02:10 PM »
yes, centos 7 is still the most covered with all services while el8 is now also mostly all covered including cwp kernel.
So it's up to you about the version you want to select, note that el7 to el8 update is not possible, however, there is a cwp-to-cwp migration tool for account migration.
VPS & Dedicated server provider with included FREE Managed support for CWP.
http://www.studio4host.com/

*** Don't allow that your server or website is down, choose hosting provider with included expert managed support for your CWP.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 01:45:41 PM »
yes, centos 7 is still the most covered with all services while el8 is now also mostly all covered including cwp kernel.
So it's up to you about the version you want to select, note that el7 to el8 update is not possible, however, there is a cwp-to-cwp migration tool for account migration.

But there are any relevant service that it not covered in el8? Or some known important bug?
It's a little annoying to buy a new server and know that in 2 years I will need to move everything from there.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 06:00:50 PM »
I read some where if your on centos 8 stream you cant migrate to any thing after that i moved to rocky linux 8 and every thing is working fine.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 06:11:21 PM »
I read some where if your on centos 8 stream you cant migrate to any thing after that i moved to rocky linux 8 and every thing is working fine.

I also read that and it's other reason that probably make me go for the centos 8 stream delayed

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 09:15:30 PM »
i'm running Centos 8 Stream with Delayed repo. Seems fine so far.

What you actually should be looking out for is the type of virtualization that the server hosting company is using. Avoid OpenVZ servers because some features of CWP wont work on it.
Best ones if I'm not mistaken is Xen-HVM

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 12:07:47 AM »
installed almalinux to test so far (short time) every thing seems fine also.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 07:39:23 PM »
Hello, i am new at this topic and did not want to start new thread on the same topic. I see that there is a CentOS 9 Stream and i see that there is this delayed repo. I have a fresh server installed (CentOS 9 Stream). What do you recommend to use, and ofc  wanted to install CWP on it. Should i reinstall with another version of CentOS or..?

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 11:31:28 AM »
CWP was not tested with CentOS 9 yet.
You can ask me to solve any problem with your server for some money in pm  ;)
Services Monitoring & RBL Monitoring
http://centos-webpanel.com/services-monitor
Join our Development Team and get paid !
http://centos-webpanel.com/develope-modules-for-cwp

Installation Instructions
http://centos-webpanel.com/installation-instructions
Get Fast Support Here
http://centos-webpanel.com/support-services

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 05:05:24 PM »
I'm in the same boat. My current/last server was built Feb 2019 -- almost 3.5 years ago. That's the expected life of a webserver I build and use. I don't have time to mess around with wiping machines/migrating, etc. It's a big deal to create a new server, install CWP, configure everything, move the sites over, then transfer from one server to the other and shut the old server down.

I do this once every 3 1/2 to 4 years ONLY.

So that being said, I am hesitant to use the "recommended" CentOS 7 which is only supported to the end of 2024, which is only 2.5 years from now. I don't want to have to build/configure a new server ahead of schedule, just because my server OS went out-of-support!

I know ahead of time CentOS 7 only has 2.5 years of life left in it. So why install it on a brand-new bare metal server being built today?

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 12:22:40 AM »
I tried moving everything to stream 8 new server.   Big mistake.   I eventually went back to the old server which I never shut down.  I plan on staying with centos7 until they pull the plug.  Hopefully by then, centos cwp will have a version that is 100% compatible with centos stream, or rocky, or any of the others.   Like you, I dont have time for headaches.  Having an out of the box ipv6 version of centos cwp would be nice.   I know that is going to rile up moderators who will say that cwp already is ready for ipv6.  "all you have to do is....yada yada yada"
Listen to everything Pixelpadre says.

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 02:33:51 PM »
Well I am not able to wait until closer to the CentOS 7 support cutoff (Dec 2024) when CWP will be forced to pick a new "stable" OS to build upon.

One of my clients is paying for the new server -- so I have to pick an OS. But as I said, I want it to last 3-4 years. I don't like spending all my time messing with hardware and server stuff. That's not my main thing.

Namaste, can you elaborate on what problems you had when you tried to use their "Delayed Stream" branch of CentOS on your new server? They claim it's plenty stable. Is that not entirely true?

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2022, 04:24:56 PM »
Short version: We are already in the "red zone". Most people use a server for around 3 years before replacing it. CentOS 7 only has 2.5 years left in it.

This issue will become more urgent the closer we get to 2024 (the end of support for CentOS 7).

I hope CWP understands this fully. A solution needs to be found. Yesterday.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2022, 09:31:12 AM »
I'm still running almalinux on cwp 8 also have rocky linux 8 on cwp 8 that i manage and both run sweet.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2022, 02:31:28 PM »
Rockylinux SHOULD be a good option, at least on paper, if it's truly a clone/fork of CentOS. It should be the same or highly compatible with CWP.

Can anyone else recommend/vouch for Rockylinux?

I think I'd rather go that route, than mess with a terminally-ill, doomed OS like "CentOS 7" which is set to die in Dec 2024.

I'm building a VERY nice server (at least by my standards), spending over $2K, and I'll certainly want to use this server for more than 2.5 years.