Author Topic: Centos 7 still the recommended version?  (Read 10682 times)

Re: Centos 7 still the recommended version?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2022, 12:50:15 PM »
Rocky linux and almalinux both work good with cwp.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2022, 04:29:26 PM »
Rocky linux and almalinux both work good with cwp.

I appreciate the suggestion, and it's probably the best option I've seen so far.

But I still want to ask --
Can anyone SECOND this recommendation? In this thread, only "Martins-phpbb" has recommended it. Surely someone else has tried Rockylinux and had a good/bad/in-between experience with it?

Thanks!

P.S. Here's a summary of this thread so far:

Martins-phpbb: RockyLinux or almalinux
Namaste: Just wait a year or two, see what CWP comes up with closer to the 2024 deadline
iraqiboy90: CentOS8-Stream-Delayed
Admin: crickets. Still CentOS 7 I guess? Even for a $5K server you can't/won't upgrade for 5+ years, despite CentOS 7 being dead-in-the-water in just 30 months?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 04:34:17 PM by DeveloperMcD »

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2022, 11:21:43 AM »
most servers run centos 7, next is centos 8 stream and cwp delayed, all works fully on them.
VPS & Dedicated server provider with included FREE Managed support for CWP.
http://www.studio4host.com/

*** Don't allow that your server or website is down, choose hosting provider with included expert managed support for your CWP.

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2022, 01:15:40 PM »
As posted on this forum once you move to centos 8 stream you are stuck there.

Atleast with rocky or alma you can auto update from versions with out the need to reinstall.

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2022, 05:15:29 AM »
I need to post a correction -- CentOS 7 is end-of-life in JUNE 2024, not December as I assumed.

So it's even worse than I thought. Less than 24 more months of support, or life, left in CentOS 7 -- and that's currently the "recommended" or "official best" option according to the CWP project.

So I'm supposed to install an OS with a less-than-2-year life on my brand-new server, on which I spent $2.5K and likely won't ever be wiped during its expected 4 year lifespan? Not an option for me, or most people in my position.

CentOS Linux 7 will reach end of life on June 30, 2024, the same date that RHEL 7 enters the next vendor support phase: RHEL 7 Extended Lifecycle Support. After this date, CentOS 7 will no longer receive any security updates or bug fixes from Red Hat.

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2022, 04:11:55 AM »
Install alamlinux or rockylinux, install virtualization and then install both on vps servers.
SEOtraining1.com -SecureHosting.xyz

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2023, 12:02:35 PM »

Based on the information provided, it's important to note that I cannot directly access external websites or forums. However, I can provide you with a general response to your query.

Regarding CentOS, as of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, CentOS 7 was indeed the recommended version at the time. However, it's essential to consult the official documentation or the CentOS community to ensure you have the most up-to-date information on recommended versions.

When CentOS 7 reaches its end of life, the recommended approach would typically involve creating a new installation of the desired version (such as CentOS Stream) and manually migrating your websites, emails, and other related data. This process can require some work, but it ensures a smooth transition to the updated version.

To obtain the most accurate and current information regarding CentOS and its versions, I recommend visiting the CentOS official website or actively engaging with the CentOS community through their forum or mailing lists. They can provide you with the most relevant guidance for your specific scenario and requirements.

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2023, 12:48:37 PM »
My plan is a migration to AlmaLinux in May 2024 before CentOS 7.9 goes EOL. I hear it is broadly compatible with CWP, maybe with a few livable bugs or incompatibilities (but not as "rocky" as another distribution). I do not plan on going to CentOS 8 Stream, which is a one-way trip.

If I were starting a server fresh today, it would be AlmaLinux, no doubt.

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2023, 06:52:38 PM »
AlmaLinux 8.7 works great with CWP.

It's also done by the same company that does CloudLinux, which is paid, and recommended by CWP.

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2023, 05:06:24 PM »
i'm running Centos 8 Stream with Delayed repo. Seems fine so far.

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2023, 05:45:02 PM »
There is no CentOS 8, 9 , etc. They got rid of version number with CentOS when RH killed CentOS 8 early.
It's just CentOS Stream, which is a rolling beta version for RHEL.

The main problem with Stream, is once you are on it, there is no way off that beta version, other than to rebuild the server with a different OS.

With CentOS 7, AlmaLinux or Rocky 8.x, there is an upgrade path to 9.x down the road as soon as CWP releases a version fully compatible with it.