Author Topic: Future of CWP?  (Read 11581 times)

Re: Future of CWP?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2023, 08:10:51 AM »
+1 cwp

good enough
little worried about backup restore
and.... quota problem for KVM Almalinux

overall

price is good enough

-1 billing system :(

and looklike they lack of staff member, not like the beginning this cwp expand ( as i can read on old thread)

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2023, 01:46:46 PM »
I am not experienced at linux but I am good with windows and PHP programming.

My CWP Pro is on CentOS 7 and I have to do a workaround to install HTTP2 because the OpenSSL libraries are no longer updated.

Obviously CentOS7 should no longer be the standard base OS to install CWP on.

I am still confused which OS to use Rocky/Alma Linux and if there are any know compatibility issues now or predicted in the future. I am not sure that CentOS Delayed is the way to go because it is a testing bridge for redhat.

Does anyone have in-depth knowledge on which one OS I should choose and why?

Thanks

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2023, 05:01:42 AM »
AlmaLinux is the best choice for now.

But I have gotten FED UP with these programmers.
PHP 7.4 EOL was NO surprise to anyone.
Neither is the EOL of PHP 8.1.x in another year.
The EOL of CentOS 7 or 8 wasn't a surprise either.

AlmaLinux 9.1 has been in beta, RC and has been in production use for over 6 months.

Yet programmers REFUSE to update scripts, add-ons, control panels, etc. for PHP 8.1.x or RHEL/AlmaLinux 9.1.
And then are condescending in their replies.

Just cancelled WHMCS due to that.
Out of the blue, without any changes, it came up with a SSL Warning that a certificate wasn't installed under System Health, yet it was, and verified.
But WHMCS had a link to purchase a SSL from them. What a surprise.
Their condescending support can back with make sure you are typing HTTPS, not HTTP... OMG.

And their only close competition WiseCP "only supports PHP 7.4".
While EVERY programmer keeps blaming "ionCube". That horse is dead. Them stop encrypting your code using it.

Yes, it's been one of those days.
</end rant>

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2023, 09:56:38 AM »
@Starburst - Yeh lot of programmers have not made the changes for PHP8.x, I don't think it is that difficult.

I found some useful links that might help:

AlmaLinux is supported by
  • Microsoft (including Azure, WSL subsystem)
  • cPanel
  • Plesk
  • Amazon
  • CloudLinux

So I too will play with this one first.

Not done this yet but very easy to upgrade CentOS 7 to Alma (or other RHEL based distos) using almas software. Just follow the link in the FAQ on the home page for more info and instructions.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 10:38:01 AM by shoulders »

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2023, 12:09:33 AM »
Stay away from stream or your be redoing the server at some point use alma linux or rocky linux

+1

go for alma (i choose alma , not rocky... ref. from some forum on internet)

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2023, 05:47:40 AM »
I have an alma server and also look after a rocky server and i found  cwp seems to run and play better on alma.

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2023, 08:34:25 AM »
Thank you so much everyone for the info. I will give it a shot with Almalinux and fingers crossed everything will work out  ;D

it will work

i have zero knownledge about linux,
everything is good
except quota info for reseller :D

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2023, 07:46:03 PM »
 there no future ,
we asked to update PMA and roundcube and mod_security engine etc from longtime a ago , there no respond

CWP good panel and stable af but need a little work to upgrade and rework some functions

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2023, 04:09:28 PM »
Rocky appears to be a rocky road indeed... I will be going with AlmaLinux. (Yet with my usage I actually could make do with the free licenses RedHat provides for RHEL. But now I refuse to use any of their OS products given that they have pulled the rug out from under us with CentOS. Burn me once...)

I'm not sure why the CWP devs are so concerned about IonCube encrypting their code. At its price point, it's more trouble to try to run a hacked copy than simply pay for it. Run some libs or code in the cloud (Azure) for CWP Pro. Just get us on a maintainable & secure track  with the PHP 8.x branch!

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2023, 06:12:05 AM »
Stay away from stream or your be redoing the server at some point use alma linux or rocky linux

why rocky linux tho?

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2023, 03:18:49 AM »
AlmaLinux and Rocky Linux both offer migration paths. Seemingly, AlmaLinux offers a more flexible migration script, but Rocky would be workable by my reading. CentOS Stream is a dead end for a server: a rolling release that will never truly stabilize, no matter how you try to pin a delayed repo. You continue to ride the whitewater, forever.

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2023, 07:40:45 AM »
We also run: dnf install perl-DBD-MySQL libuuid-devel m4 pcre-devel pcre libtool zlib-devel uuid uuid-devel
On new servers, just to be safe.

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2023, 03:16:21 PM »
AlmaLinux is currently the best option for package support, since they are basically CloudLinux.

But with what just happened a little while ago with RedHat, everything is up in the air.
I hate to say it, but Rocky may go the way of Mandrake.

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2023, 07:04:56 PM »
I'm totally fine with Alma & Rocky not being 1:1 bug compatible with RHEL. If they are slight laggards and just use EL as a reference platform, it seems totally workable and a better option than CentOS Stream. They are making a go of it and are working hard to bring updates in from disparate sources (UBI container images, cloud instances running RHEL, etc.)

https://rockylinux.org/news/keeping-open-source-open/
https://rockylinux.org/news/brave-new-world-path-forward/
https://almalinux.org/blog/future-of-almalinux/

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2023, 08:26:50 AM »
If using Alma or Rocky becomes a problem, CWP should consider moving to Ubuntu.