Author Topic: Reverse dns setup  (Read 563 times)

Reverse dns setup
« on: December 03, 2023, 09:09:47 PM »
Hi, I own a /24 IP block... How I can setup reverse dns in cwp?

I setup reverse dns with webmin (ns1 and ns2) with different public IPs and it works, but when setup a new domain in cwp I need to configure dns records in webmin too...

In webmin when I add an record, itīs an option to setup reverse dns for that record too... I donīt see this option in cwp...

Is any way to setup reverse dns in cwp... and when I setup a new domain or record, cwp setup reverse entries for that?

Thanks!!

Re: Reverse dns setup
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 09:57:20 PM »
CWP is added-on to CentOS and uses industry-standard BIND (named) so you can just set up a reverse DNS conf file for your zone. A lot of this tutorial would apply (minus the private network aspect):
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-configure-bind-as-a-private-network-dns-server-on-centos-7

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 12:08:47 AM »
Reverse DNS is not something that should programmed automatically.  It also Should only point to FQDN (Ex: server.yourserver.com).  If you are setting up rDNS to the users domain name, it's legal, however in reality, all of you /24 should point to your servers hostname.   When MX lookups do a PTR lookup for domain xyz.com and see xyz.com as the server name, but the mail header reads from server.yourserver.com, it may very well fail the message.  JS
Google Hangouts:  rcschaff82@gmail.com

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 05:05:02 PM »
A RDNS is nothing you can set, this is something your ISP needs to do, and if you really "own" a /24 IP, maybe you are an ISP or something so you need to add a PTR Record for your IP setting a FQDNS like mail.yourserver.com as rdns record to your IP.

There is nothing more you need to do in CWP