Author Topic: Create new disk (home2) because /home is full  (Read 3383 times)

Create new disk (home2) because /home is full
« on: November 05, 2022, 12:32:04 PM »
how do i create a new disk and set this new one for the new accounts i create or migrate old accounts to the new one?

Re: Create new disk (home2) because /home is full
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 05:43:31 PM »
Is there no one to help me?

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 06:50:09 AM »
+1

because my reseller limit look like not working
i plan to put them on new HDD
and for KVM cloud vps.. it more safe.. because if i loose my reseller client...
i just remove the second virtual hdd (primary cannot downgrade space...)

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 11:01:43 AM »
There are many guides out there...

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 12:18:26 PM »
There are many guides out there...

i cant find how to create second /home
i mean
my sda1 /home = full
i want to create /home2
and cwp know about it

if im not wrong this is what op need (actually me too)

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 09:21:07 PM »
You would probably need to create home2 on the other disk, then possibly symlinks in /home pointing to it would work, or else you could put fstab mounts into /home (after clearing it out first -- as with the guides). But I think you'll find that /home generally isn't the culprit for disk consumption. A better consideration would be to put /var/vmail on another disk and mount it at /var/vmail in the filesystem. For instance, I have one packrat customer that has 75GB of mails in /var/vmail. Sum total of /var/vmail on that server is over 200GB of my 300GB disk allotment!

Or did you put /home on a separate partition?

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2023, 07:33:47 AM »
You would probably need to create home2 on the other disk, then possibly symlinks in /home pointing to it would work, or else you could put fstab mounts into /home (after clearing it out first -- as with the guides). But I think you'll find that /home generally isn't the culprit for disk consumption. A better consideration would be to put /var/vmail on another disk and mount it at /var/vmail in the filesystem. For instance, I have one packrat customer that has 75GB of mails in /var/vmail. Sum total of /var/vmail on that server is over 200GB of my 300GB disk allotment!

Or did you put /home on a separate partition?

so there is no option to create /home2 (sda2 ?
with /home still at sda1

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 12:38:45 AM »
I think you would have to do a virtual filesystem for what you are proposing to do...

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 06:12:50 AM »
I think you would have to do a virtual filesystem for what you are proposing to do...
any clue about that?
i want to upgrade my space too (like OP) but i dont want move all /home
i just think to add /home2 at new ssd/storage drive so if i not need them i can reduce the size or delete it... because i can upgrade space but i cant downgrade space

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 06:16:36 PM »
You can mount other storage (block devices) in the filesystem manually with the mount command, then automate it with /etc/fstab. So on your additional storage, you could make that be dedicated to a large user account and mount it at /home/biguser (after moving the current home to the side: /home.biguser.temp). Then move their stuff from the temp named directory to the new /home/biguser directory.

Or you could implement something in user space with FUSE.

This is just a large overview sketch, as the devil is in the implementation details -- and that's up to you!

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 02:30:10 PM »
You can mount other storage (block devices) in the filesystem manually with the mount command, then automate it with /etc/fstab. So on your additional storage, you could make that be dedicated to a large user account and mount it at /home/biguser (after moving the current home to the side: /home.biguser.temp). Then move their stuff from the temp named directory to the new /home/biguser directory.

Or you could implement something in user space with FUSE.

This is just a large overview sketch, as the devil is in the implementation details -- and that's up to you!

mid-risk failure i think... hmmm better to setup /home at another partition from beginning :( (I think)