Author Topic: What distro to go for..  (Read 4104 times)

What distro to go for..
« on: March 29, 2022, 12:25:43 AM »
I have been running Centos & DA for around 12 years now, but are down-sizeing my webhosting to only my own domains. The CWP controlpanel seems to suite me quite fine, and I feel it can be a stayer.

So I will setup a new server, and in that case I don't feel to happy about thinking I have to upgrade it again with a new OS in around two years. I have really liked Centos, so due to its EOL, I guess it probably will have to be Rocky or AlmaLinux (or maybe Oracle). What are todays known issues with these two distroes and CWP (if there are any), and which one of them are CWP probably tuning into replacing Centos?

Re: What distro to go for..
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 12:44:32 AM »
Almalinux  or rocky linux i'v used both but almalinux seems better to me dont use centos 8  or the stream or your be rebuilding your server.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 06:06:34 PM »
I'm not sure about the fear for centos 8 stream with delayed cwp repos. I'm running it.
Did I make a mistake?

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 10:29:14 PM »
I'm not sure about the fear for centos 8 stream with delayed cwp repos. I'm running it.
Did I make a mistake?

The issue with CentOS, is that there is no "In Place" upgrade option.  If you go 8, when 9 comes out, you will have to do a complete reinstall.   Unlike Ubuntu/Debian, where you can simply change the version in apt, and do an in place upgrade.  Not sure about the other 2 listed if that is possible.
Google Hangouts:  rcschaff82@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 02:40:47 PM »
Adding this for further context.  You can upgrade CentOS (Rocky in this example) from 8 to 9 without a complete rebuild.  It’s a few more steps than just upgrading a version number, but it can be done.

https://linuxiac.com/upgrade-rocky-linux-8-to-rocky-linux-9/

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 05:00:02 AM »
I chose AlmaLinux 8.7 and have been very happy with my choice.

I could be wrong, but I think AlmaLinux is maintained by a nonprofit org; Rocky Linux is maintained by a for-profit group. Make your choice. They are very similar.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 05:10:56 AM »
+1 alma

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 08:20:58 PM »
Rocky Linux (has some missing packages) or I recommend AlmaLinux 8.7, which is the community version of CloudLinux.

As such AlmaLinux 9.1 is also capable of Secure Boot, a feature that came over from CloudLinux.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 07:24:22 AM »
Good, good, good to know! Thanks for the advice, Starburst. I'll be looking at AlmaLinux as my CentOS 7 EOL exit path.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 09:42:42 PM »
AlmaLinux also has a migration tool:

https://github.com/AlmaLinux/almalinux-deploy

--

For the CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux 8, I would fist make an image fo the current working system.
(You never know)

https://linuxiac.com/centos-7-to-almalinux-8-migration-guide/