Author Topic: Deleted Backups but Disk Space not reclaimed  (Read 1764 times)

Deleted Backups but Disk Space not reclaimed
« on: January 06, 2023, 06:51:16 PM »
Hi, I ran into a full disk usage and couldn't get into CWP7 Panel.  Through SSH it appeared backup was using over half of the diskspace.  I went through a deleted a lot of folder but the space wasn't reclaimed.  Is there something else I should run?  I've done a full reboot.  Thank you!

Re: Deleted Backups but Disk Space not reclaimed
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 01:47:29 AM »
Use FileManager you will have to delete the backups from under /backup in the daily, weekly, monthly sub-folders.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 12:52:55 AM »
Thanks, yes, I've got that part but it doesn't seem to have reclaimed the entire value of the /backup folder....  For example, /backup folder was 42GB but only reclaimed 30GB after deleting the entire folder.  I did restart the server also just in case.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 08:12:33 AM »
i test to create 1 GB files at /home/user01
then chwon that file to user02:user02

result:

user02 lost the 1GB
user01 still count the test file

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 06:25:33 AM »
Have you checked the trash folder, if its still there using the diskspace?

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 03:11:26 PM »
Tangentially related, you may want to periodically search for large files that customers create or backups that get hidden away. It's all the more important on a VPS setting where you have limited disk space and need to keep as much free space as possible. I have had customers running various WordPress backup solutions, creating tons of large backups, not realizing I already have daily/weekly/monthly backups going via CWP. So I have had to find those culprits and exorcise them with a vengeance!
https://linuxize.com/post/find-large-files-in-linux/