Author Topic: Issues with reverse DNS / PTR  (Read 1668 times)

Issues with reverse DNS / PTR
« on: April 24, 2023, 09:05:07 AM »
Hi, I read a lot of information about that but no answer... not clear...

I got the typical error:
rDNS/PTR = FAILED, check with your hosting provider! FAILED [Check SenderBase]

rDNS/PTR check for IP xx.xx.xx.xx = not found!

I own my ASN and my IPv4 block and IPv6 block in RIPE. As I understand, I need to configure the rDNS of the server IP in RIPE webpage? Or I´m wrong?

Thanks in advance!!

Re: Issues with reverse DNS / PTR
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 12:16:31 AM »
You own & manage your own IP space? Of does your ISP or hosting provider manage the IP space?

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 06:59:48 AM »
Hi, I manage my block space, I has my own ASN in RIPE and the IPv4 are rented but I use it, I assign IPs, I route the IPs, they are at my company name.

I don´t have ISP for my IP ranges... I rented, route until my infra...

Then, I need to reverse DNS the IP of the server from RIPE? Or where I need to create the rDNS?

Thanks!!

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 08:43:46 AM »
I have found where create reverse DNS for my domains / IP in RIPE... but always saw unreachable or not authoritative...

I think need to create PTR or NS or some record in the DNS zones... but I tested a lot but with no luck...

Anyone can help me in to create the records?¿?

Thanks!!

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 05:12:07 PM »
Are you running your own DNS servers outside of CWP? I use Cloudflare for my DNS infrastructure. Is your IP block on a single subnet? For sure you wouldn't want to run your own DNS if you don't have a 2nd subnet to split up the DNS servers so as to avoid DDoS or other problems.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 05:13:44 PM »
RDNS is can't be set from CWP you need to contact the server isp to set it for you