Author Topic: Is it safe to update/upgrade server?  (Read 2038 times)

Is it safe to update/upgrade server?
« on: February 16, 2023, 01:00:23 AM »
Hello,

I would like to know how I can safely update or upgrade the apps or packages on my server.
Is there a place inside the control panel to update/upgrade the apps, or should I use dnf upgrade -y?

I remembered last year, when I tried to use dnf upgrade -y, it broke the control panel.
Like, whenever I restart the server, nginx does not work. I have to start it manually.
But, I think updating the system would be beneficial, such as protecting it from security vulnerabilities.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 01:02:25 AM by AdventureTime »

Re: Is it safe to update/upgrade server?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2023, 11:43:44 AM »
when u have control panel,
try to not touch cli :D

at least that the one most important thing i've learn from CPanel and other panel

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 08:33:35 AM »
when u have control panel,
try to not touch cli :D

at least that the one most important thing i've learn from CPanel and other panel

I see. Thanks! So, how can I update it? :)

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 06:44:28 PM »
We do ours on a regular basis, no problems.

Make sure your nginx is enabled using systemctl.

Currently we had upgraded MariaDB to 10.10.3, and use the postfix repo.
The cwp.repo has been disabled.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 11:29:26 AM »
We do ours on a regular basis, no problems.

Make sure your nginx is enabled using systemctl.

Currently we had upgraded MariaDB to 10.10.3, and use the postfix repo.
The cwp.repo has been disabled.
CWP Repo disabled? Huh? What happened?

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 04:38:58 PM »
We update Apache manually to the latest version, and have TLS 1.3 & HTTP/2 configured.
To stop any conflicts, we disabled the cwp.repo.

But we have the main AlmaLinux, Dovecot, MariaDB, EPEL, ELRepo repos all enabled.

Server where just upgraded to MariaDB 10.11.2 a few days ago, along with Apache 2.4.55 and mod_remoteip.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023, 09:13:19 PM »
Code: [Select]
yum -y updateis your friend. I used to do updates manually, but now I have cron set to run them overnight and just before I wake up. If something does blow up, I can always rollback via snapshots & backups.

PakPos makes a valid point if you are new or unfamiliar with the underlying plumbing -- as the point of a graphical control panel is to do the heavy lifting in a sensible GUI-metaphor. So in that way, it's best to work within that framework. But that said, I've been admining various *nix servers since 2000, so I am pretty familiar with the basic plumbing and configuring Apache, Postfix, BIND, etc via the CLI. So I vacillate between worlds here :)