Author Topic: CWP Pro Terminal Fails to load with a blank (black) Screen  (Read 1372 times)

CWP Pro Terminal Fails to load with a blank (black) Screen
« on: August 28, 2023, 03:24:36 AM »
I have a fix for this but oddly enough the CWP forums refuse to let me post it on here with a 403 forbidden error. If you want this fixed reply to this forum topic and I will help you get it done. It's not hard, but it just looks like CWP does NOT want you/me/anyone posting code here for fixing issues with their platform. To those out there that are gonna say it....yes I tried using the CODE enclosures.....they don't work.

In general the problem has to do with GCC and G++ being too old (4.5 I believe) and needs to be updated to 7. But that isn't enough, you also have to rip out the old remnants of the failed install the botched up.

I honestly don't understand why this has been an issue for so long as it's not hard to fix. It did take me a whole week to track down though.

If you are having issues with this reply to this forum topic and I will help you with it. CWP is not on a fast track to fix this.
If they wanted it fixed...then you wouldn't have to fight so hard for them to fix it. Money is made on problems.....problems that you pay them to fix....but they created themselves. Why should you pay CWP to fix their own software? Is that their business model?

Re: CWP Pro Terminal Fails to load with a blank (black) Screen
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 03:59:57 AM »
Ah Ha!...so below is a link to my github repo to show the replacement "install_terminal" script that actually works. Use it at your own risk!

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/LPJon/cwpfixes/main/install_terminal
If they wanted it fixed...then you wouldn't have to fight so hard for them to fix it. Money is made on problems.....problems that you pay them to fix....but they created themselves. Why should you pay CWP to fix their own software? Is that their business model?

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 01:15:49 AM »
The other big note on your revised install_terminal script is that you are installing python3, whereas the default RHEL kit provides & supports python 2.7.5. So know the ramifications of such an installation before proceeding. I've lived with CWP Pro for a while now as is, and will hold steady until early next year when I move over to EL9 -- when CWP for EL9 is ready, of course.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 02:25:36 AM »
The other big note on your revised install_terminal script is that you are installing python3, whereas the default RHEL kit provides & supports python 2.7.5. So know the ramifications of such an installation before proceeding. I've lived with CWP Pro for a while now as is, and will hold steady until early next year when I move over to EL9 -- when CWP for EL9 is ready, of course.

You are correct, and I'm sorry for not also stating the upgrade to Python3. Since you are a senior member here can you tell us if the update to Python3 would effect any of the standard vanilla installations of CWP. Or would this only effect CWP Server admins that have software requirements specifically for Python2?

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 08:35:16 AM »
If anyone has recently used my script then please run this command to fix a system error which WILL stop netdata from properly installing.

!!!BE SURE TO REMOVE THE SPACES IN THE FILE PATH AT THE END!!!
Code: [Select]
sed -ri 's#(.*)(\$)(gccversion)(.*)#\17\4#' / etc / profile
This will fix the / etc / profile where
source /opt/rh/devtoolset-$gccversion/enable was inserted at the end of the file instead of
source /opt/rh/devtoolset-7/enable

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 02:23:15 PM »
...if the update to Python3 would effect any of the standard vanilla installations of CWP. Or would this only effect CWP Server admins that have software requirements specifically for Python2?
The python3 package is called that way -- python3, leaving the python command to call python 2.7.5. So there shouldn't inherently be any interference with any of the default CWP kit. But I am unwilling to test on my production servers, because I've been burned by a python3 upgrade on a Linux Mint system and entered into a circular dependency hell that actually borked the whole system and took some doing to resolve.

But do let us know how it goes. I am curious and watching this thread. I just wanted to mention the python3 caveat after reviewing your script.

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 11:54:30 PM »
...if the update to Python3 would effect any of the standard vanilla installations of CWP. Or would this only effect CWP Server admins that have software requirements specifically for Python2?
The python3 package is called that way -- python3, leaving the python command to call python 2.7.5. So there shouldn't inherently be any interference with any of the default CWP kit. But I am unwilling to test on my production servers, because I've been burned by a python3 upgrade on a Linux Mint system and entered into a circular dependency hell that actually borked the whole system and took some doing to resolve.

But do let us know how it goes. I am curious and watching this thread. I just wanted to mention the python3 caveat after reviewing your script.

That is good to know and very important. I will note here that I did not add any repositories to install Python3. That does not mean that anyone is safe though. For anyone here, I run VPS servers powered by XCP-ng and typically run a snapshot before any package upgrades just to be sure that all is well. I also use BackupPC to make nightly backups of customer and server config files so that a fast restore is possible if the snapshot fails or there is a long standing issue that was missed. You are smart NOT to do things that could cause you major headaches. So far so good though....in truth the Python3 package could be removed after the build of the terminal modules in NPM as it's only needed to compile the modules I believe (Not sure though). As long as you don't delete the node_modules folder in / root / then you should be fine.

I would like to re-write this script to use NVM (Node Version Manager) as I think it would work better for future versions of this module. It would be agile and able to switch Node.js versions or revert fairly easily with failed installations. Just don't have the time without getting sponsored for it right now.

If anyone really want's something like that here is a link to sponsor me on Github. I'm not gonna hold my breath though....this is not a really pressing issue.

https://github.com/sponsors/LPJon