Author Topic: firewall configuration  (Read 8508 times)

firewall configuration
« on: February 14, 2016, 03:17:42 PM »
I see following the installation of CWP that the firewall is by default off. I don't want to spend hours and hours reading up on this firewall stuff but I would like a basic firewall config that would satisfy a "basic" setup (web/mail/ftp/named I guess, ssh and any other services that need to run).

Does anyone have such a file that I could drop in and enable firewall? CWP is pretty cool but I just don't want to spend weeks and weeks reading up on all this extra stuff. OR, is there CWP guide to firewall setup ?

Nick

Re: firewall configuration
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 07:46:28 PM »
The firewall should by default allow traffic to ssh, smtp, pop, http, https, named, CWP, and CWP-ssl,etc. I'd caution you about this: "I don't want to spend hours and hours reading up on this ..." Linux gives you plenty of rope to hang yourself with. It's super flexible, super powerful, and not knowing what you're doing and not wanting to know is risky at best. Think of it like this, Linux is like the Hole Hog drill. The Hole Hog is basically a powerful motor with a drill bit attached to it and a pipe for a handle. It will go through just about anything. If the bit binds it can literally throw the operator, it's that strong. If you don't want to learn how to operated it safely you might be better off with a cordless drill.

Re: firewall configuration
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 03:19:20 AM »
I see following the installation of CWP that the firewall is by default off. I don't want to spend hours and hours reading up on this firewall stuff but I would like a basic firewall config that would satisfy a "basic" setup (web/mail/ftp/named I guess, ssh and any other services that need to run).

Does anyone have such a file that I could drop in and enable firewall? CWP is pretty cool but I just don't want to spend weeks and weeks reading up on all this extra stuff. OR, is there CWP guide to firewall setup ?

Nick

To enable firewall, only few click at left menu, security-CSf.. but yes, you need to spend lot of time learn how to use advanced firewall security for your need.