Author Topic: New centos webpanel user  (Read 6505 times)

New centos webpanel user
« on: May 05, 2016, 07:17:53 PM »
I have a primary VPS and use WHM/CPANEL. Been like that for a few years. So I got another VPS to fool around to check other web panels out there. I can't believe how many there are. And most are free!

So I whipped up a CentOS 6 and installed the latest CentOS WebPanel. I really fool around with them, almost trying to break it to see what it can handle. I broke it a few times somehow trying to get PHP7 going and just realized that's not going to happen.

Anyway I went through the basic stuff. Setup DNS servers, turned on the firewall, etc. I created a domain. What's weird is I try to list the domains that are there, nothing comes up on the list. I have been fooling around a lot with it, so I may have done something by accident without me even knowing it.

One thing I do notice, like other people here is how apache/httpd stops or doesn't restart properly after adding a domain. You need to drop down into a shell and really kill it. I even got to the point where it wouldn't start at all. Didn't care since I'm going to wipe it all out and do a reinstall.

This is the third free web hosting panel I've tried and I like this one the best so far. I hope development continues. WHM/cpanel has such a hold on the market with large organizations and you do pay a premium for that. Time to play.

Re: New centos webpanel user
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 12:23:25 PM »
Well said, Michael.

I used to be with CPanel for quite some years, the license for a vps/dedicated server is absolutely not cheap.

I then started to look for alternative control panels such as Zpanel, ISPconfig, Centminmod, AMH, and of course the CWP too; so far CWP I feel the best although it cannot compete with CPanel at the moment.

You guys did the great job, CWP team. Thanks!  ;)