Author Topic: PHPBB 3.2 install problem  (Read 21077 times)

PHPBB 3.2 install problem
« on: August 17, 2017, 01:00:13 PM »
Hi All,

Has anyone who has installed phpbb through cwp had problems with an access denied error with the database on setup?

I cannot get past the database page on the install process with a "access denied to user on database" error. I have tried everything but no luck. All permissions are set up correctly for user and database.

I have manually installed Joomla and SMF many times without any problems on my server so the problem seems to be phpbb related and not my db setup.
Has anyone else had this problem with phpbb?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: PHPBB 3.2 install problem
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:12:08 PM »
try testing mysql connection from shell and if all works then try checking apache error_log
Code: [Select]
mysql -u USERNAME -pPASSWORD
show databases;
VPS & Dedicated server provider with included FREE Managed support for CWP.
http://www.studio4host.com/

*** Don't allow that your server or website is down, choose hosting provider with included expert managed support for your CWP.

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 12:21:59 AM »
Thanks for reply studio4host.

I have checked mysql connection and it is ok. I have checked apache error_log and there are a few lines that might be the problem....

ModSecurity: Access denied with code 403 (phase 2).

ModSecurity: Status engine is currently disabled, enable it by set SecStatusEngine to On.

I will look into this tomorrow and see if this has anything to do with it and i will also have a closer look at error_log and see if i can find anything else that might be worth looking into.

I have tried installing phpbb with mod_security off and then with mod_secuirty on and firewall disabled and it still wont work. I ran a practice install of SMF yesterday with same set up and no problems at all so its got me stumped. If i cant work it out then i will just re-design my theme for SMF and say goodbye to the phpbb headache  >:(.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:36:47 AM by entheo »

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 09:36:41 PM »
Ok it is sorted now. I wasn't entering the database name and username correctly on the database configuration screen. PHPBB install requires slightly different info than joomla and smf etc. The database name should be entered in full including the username like user_database name.

Headache over! phew!