Author Topic: Future of CWP?  (Read 11971 times)

Re: Future of CWP?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2023, 02:09:38 PM »
My straw vote would be Debian proper for a major failover backup plan. Of course, targeting Debian should get you broad compatibility with other Debian-derived OSes such as Ubuntu.

But the whole RHEL kerfuffle has caused me to re-survey the landscape and I will now re-evaluate SUSE, which I last used back in the early 2000s. It would seemingly be the best direct alternative to the EL branch of distros, since it too qualifies as a conservative enterprise distro.

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2023, 02:34:19 PM »
All software for Linux is now moving towards Ubuntu. 99% of Linux software packages seem to have at least an Ubuntu install package and everyone has heard of it.

But I will definitely watch this space as I am more a windows man than Linux, yet!!!

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2023, 05:30:30 PM »
If using Alma or Rocky becomes a problem, CWP should consider moving to Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is equal to Stream. It's a beta version to Debian.

NOT for production use.

Only Debian is used in production environments for stability.

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2023, 05:33:33 PM »
My straw vote would be Debian proper for a major failover backup plan. Of course, targeting Debian should get you broad compatibility with other Debian-derived OSes such as Ubuntu.

But the whole RHEL kerfuffle has caused me to re-survey the landscape and I will now re-evaluate SUSE, which I last used back in the early 2000s. It would seemingly be the best direct alternative to the EL branch of distros, since it too qualifies as a conservative enterprise distro.

There needs to be a good control panel for FreeBSD.

It's the only operating system since the beginning that hasn't had any problems.

Again, Leave it up to IBM to mess things up.

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2023, 02:29:42 AM »
Ajenti has always been on my list of a panel to try, and it has experimental support for FreeBSD:
https://support.ajenti.org/knowledge-bases/5/articles/1131-installing-on-freebsd-experimental

And of course, Webmin runs on FreeBSD:
https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-install-webmin-on-freebsd/

And maybe you would count TrueNAS (née FreeNAS) as a web GUI for admin duties for FreeBSD, but of course, it's more LAN storage-focused, but I could imagine extending it to include other server duties.

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2023, 08:31:36 AM »
This is my list of cPanel alternatives

https://quantumwarp.com/kb/articles/64-cpanel/1001-cpanel-alternatives-and-linux-web-interfaces

I still have a few to add but any that I have missed I can add.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 08:37:40 AM by shoulders »

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2023, 02:00:08 PM »
Thanks, that's a nice comprehensive list! I haven't surveyed the landscape in at least 5 years. Back when I migrated out of cPanel land, CWP was the obvious choice because it provided the clearest, most direct transition path from expen$$$ive cPanel servers over to my own dedicated servers with CWP Pro.

If starting up a new server fresh, I may give that list a more comprehensive look and test drive some of the other alternative panels. Certainly a dedicated server could do with one of the other panels vs. one that supports reselling. But a lot of it comes down to the knowledge base of the admin and how much down-n-dirty behind the panel work is required to configure & keep it running smoothly.

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2023, 09:12:03 AM »
I have an alma server and also look after a rocky server and i found  cwp seems to run and play better on alma.
plus whatsapp

project free tv

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2023, 06:43:31 PM »
It does for 2 reasons.

1. AlmaLinux is basically the free version of CloudLinux.
(Allot of developers work on both projects)

2. For some odd reason Rocky is missing some binaries.