Author Topic: postfix dovecot limits  (Read 4425 times)

postfix dovecot limits
« on: May 17, 2020, 07:16:49 AM »
hello,

i want to deploy an email server which is suppose to receive 5000 email per hour max and 20000 a day in total. is postfix and dovecot can handle this much incoming email traffic smoothly by default setting with cwp pro? or do i have to fine tune some setting/parameters to optimize the mail server performance?

kindly suggest if cwp pro can be used to manage email server on large scale? how stable is it ? did someone tested it on a busy server.

Regards,

Zeeshan Javed

Re: postfix dovecot limits
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 07:45:18 AM »
Stability is based on system specs.  4GB ram is the minimum to run all of the spam/antivirus programs.  That many emails, I would suggest 8GB ram w/ 4GB swap.  Aside from that, postfix/dovecot should run just fine.  If you don't need the websites, you can disable apache.
Google Hangouts:  rcschaff82@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 07:57:41 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  For this project I will have 8 cores 30Gb ram 800GB ssd drive with unlimited monthly bandwidth @600 Mbit/sec port. With this much RAM do I still need swap????

I am always confused which domain to put in hostname, should it be the main domain for which I am setting up the email server for? Or it should be any other domain to access the server only?

Should I put mydomain.com as hostname or make it server.mydomain.com? And then how to Configure ssl for the hostname so that access to cpanel for admin and user are secured via ssl.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 08:06:27 AM »
Hostname needs to be somesubdomain.domain.com.  server. srv.  basically anything as long as there are two dots.

with that much ram, you do no need swap.

Upon installation, CWP should get a valid certificate from letsencrypt.  If you want to buy a cert, you can install that via the CWP admin interface.
Google Hangouts:  rcschaff82@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 08:10:27 AM »
thanks for your reply. i will do the installation and will share with you the results :)