Author Topic: Issues with having a nameserver and hosting a website on the same NS  (Read 8064 times)

Hi All.

I want to host my website technical.network with the name servers of ns1.technical.network and ns2.technical.network.

So I went on Go daddy and created a hostname with ns1.technical.network pointing towards my IP, I couldn't create ns2 as it was the same ip and it wouldn't let me.

I went to change the hostnames the domain is pointing to which is ns1.technical.network and NS68.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

So it does appear that it forwards correctly but when I add the name servers in CWP area "edit name servers ip" it creates a ns1.technical.network and ns2.technical.network dns zone files.

I also want to put content on technical.network and then when I add user with technical.network as the domain, the dns comes with an error saying that it already exists and so I can't add it.

How can I point technical.network ns1 and ns2 to my ip as well as host content on it?

I'm a semi noob. :)

Any help would be appreciated. Its driving me crazy and I've done about 5 different installed of centos and CWP with different configs.

Re: Issues with having a nameserver and hosting a website on the same NS
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 11:29:23 AM »
This is what my records hold for technical.network

and this is the error message when trying to restart bind as its stopped.:

Stopping named: [  OK  ]
Starting named:
Error in named configuration:
zone localhost.localdomain/IN: loaded serial 0
zone localhost/IN: loaded serial 0
zone 1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa/IN: loaded serial 0
zone 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 0
zone 0.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 0
zone technical.network/IN: has no NS records
zone technical.network/IN: not loaded due to errors.
_default/technical.network/IN: bad zone
[FAILED]

Re: Issues with having a nameserver and hosting a website on the same NS
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 07:24:24 AM »
You are lacking and did not specify the nameserver for that domain and instead made a redundancy on the last 2 line.
You need to specify where the domain is going which in your case you should have a line for the technical.network.

what you have done is you only specified where the nameserver is going but not the domain itself. If you recreate it automatically from the CWP. The system will gave you automatic line like below.

Code: [Select]
technical.network.                     IN            NS          ns1.technical.network.
technical.network.                     IN            NS          ns2.technical.network.

to make thing easier I'd rather have you delete the account and recreate it. as it will produce those two line automatically.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:27:05 AM by spangler »