Author Topic: /dev/mapper/cl-root running out of space  (Read 167 times)

/dev/mapper/cl-root running out of space
« on: February 07, 2020, 06:33:03 PM »
Hello, I have had this server up and running for about 3 months now and I noticed that the /dev/mapper/cl-root partition is getting used up rather quickly. At this rate, the partition may be out of space in a couple more months. What's in that partition? Can the data be moved or removed? I'm not familiar with Linux at all, so please bear with my ignorance; I am trying to learn. Thanks!

Re: /dev/mapper/cl-root running out of space
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 06:50:50 PM »
Shakes head.
That's your root partition! Time for you to read up on linux, extensively.
Why are you even posting under "Control Web Panel WebPanel CentOS 7 Problems "? This is a total lack of knowledge on your part.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 06:53:54 PM by ejsolutions »
Running a server/VPS means YOU take responsibility to learn how to do it properly. If you can't manage, buy shared hosting.
Back to lurking mode. :-/

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 07:32:00 PM »
Shakes head.
That's your root partition! Time for you to read up on linux, extensively.
Why are you even posting under "Control Web Panel WebPanel CentOS 7 Problems "? This is a total lack of knowledge on your part.

Thank for the thoughtful reply. I understand that I do not know much or anything about Linux, which is why I am trying to learn about it. If you have some resources I can read up on, that would be helpful. Otherwise your reply is not helpful and meaningless.

So it's the root partition, thanks for that. How can I find out what's taking up the space in that partition?

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 07:48:40 PM »
Unsurprisingly, you've missed the whole point, as do some other recent posters to this forum. It's a CWP forum, not a general linux one, of which there must be many. I'm not about to handhold on the fundamentals of *nix.
I'm sure you can point your smartphone at Google for that.

Harsh, yes but the resources are all there for you to find.
Why not start by installing Linux Mint on your PC (if you have one) and follow tutorials on that - just a suggestion.
Running a server/VPS means YOU take responsibility to learn how to do it properly. If you can't manage, buy shared hosting.
Back to lurking mode. :-/

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 08:20:30 PM »
Unsurprisingly, you've missed the whole point, as do some other recent posters to this forum. It's a CWP forum, not a general linux one, of which there must be many...

Copy... I'll figure it out, thanks.