Author Topic: hostname setup  (Read 6687 times)

hostname setup
« on: March 12, 2020, 11:46:23 PM »
hello. I've already installed my cwp but I'm trying to learn as much as I can to use it good, so I'm reinstalling it and trying to give a better configuration. I've been reading a lot of articles about every single command of the installation and the configuration, but while I was following the main cwp guide I had a couple of doubts.

1) the first step of the guide says I gotta set an hostname. Which one is best to use? I mean, I would probably just leave it "centos" or "cwp". Would that be good? What is the best practice?

2) the second step says to setup the server ip addresses. Here I'm a bit lost. When I get my vps, my ip is already setup... what should I setup exactly? can someone tell me more about this? The guide literally says 'Define additional IP address, subnet address, and default gateway IP address for your server — your service provider can provide you with this information.' But when I get my vps, aren't those values already set?

3) is a swappiness value of 20 too little?

thanks

Re: hostname setup
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 12:10:25 AM »
1. Use FQDN ex. edinburgh.mydomain.com
2. Ignore if you only have one IP address for your VPS, which you likely do. If you've used your povider's CentOS 7 template to install the server then the IP/mask/gateway will already be setup. It will probably be dynamic however and you should change to a static IP - Google it.
3. Set to either 1 or 5

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 08:07:51 AM »

if you've ssd and ram 3 gbs and up then disable the swap for better performance

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 10:25:11 AM »
2. Ignore if you only have one IP address for your VPS, which you likely do. If you've used your povider's CentOS 7 template to install the server then the IP/mask/gateway will already be setup. It will probably be dynamic however and you should change to a static IP - Google it.
how to check if it's dynamic? thanks

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 11:04:28 AM »

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 11:10:02 AM »

Don't agree with this and goes against *nix memory handling. There are however, numerous arguments for/against swappiness. (I have a 128Mb swap on this SSD laptop, with vmswappiness=1 and there is some debate on whether 0 actually completely disables it.)

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 11:48:30 AM »

Don't agree with this and goes against *nix memory handling. There are however, numerous arguments for/against swappiness. (I have a 128Mb swap on this SSD laptop, with vmswappiness=1 and there is some debate on whether 0 actually completely disables it.)

I'm following the guide... but I have doubt about it... when it says to edit the file ifcfg-interfacename and add network data such as ip, gateway and so on... ipaddr, gateway, network mask, dns... how can I know what to add? I'm sure its a noob question. I know my external ip, but how can I know the rest?

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 12:36:27 PM »
Blimey!
Suggest leaving it as is.  :o

((Goes off to setup a NATed environment, to trial CWP under those circumstances.))

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 12:39:36 PM »

under ssd swap is not recommended.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 12:41:35 PM »
Blimey!
Suggest leaving it as is.  :o

((Goes off to setup a NATed environment, to trial CWP under those circumstances.))

normally I know how to handle those parameters in a network, but in a vps I never changed those things.
I guess it's needed when you have multiple vps or they must be part of a vpn, isn't it? are there other reason to change them?
Where can I read more about this?
So should I just change to static the ip without adding those @ejsolutions thanks a lot for your patience and help :)

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 12:44:44 PM »
cwp's first requirement is static ip
http://centos-webpanel.com/installation-instructions

and you should ask local system admin if you're lost.