Author Topic: Multiple CWPPro using same NS1 and NS2  (Read 7998 times)

Multiple CWPPro using same NS1 and NS2
« on: May 07, 2020, 09:31:34 PM »
Currently, I have multiple CWPPro VPS'. Everytime I spin up a new one, I use ie. ns10a.my-domain.com ns10b.my-domain.com, or ns11a.my-domain.com and ns11b.my-domain.com. The number goes higher and higher the more servers I have. I would like to use 2 name servers, and that's it. ns1 and ns2.
I wanted to ask if someone can steer me in the direction to use each CWPPro DNS local setup, but have it sync to ns1 and ns2. Maybe using the Slave DNS Manager, or similar? I'm a little lost how I would accomplish something like that?
For example, if I were to create a few new CWPPro servers, and want to use ns1.my-domain.com and ns2.my-domain.com for all of them. I also would like the local DNS feature for my customers to work, but sync to ns1 and ns2. How would this be possible?
Thanks in advance.

Re: Multiple CWPPro using same NS1 and NS2
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 02:46:31 AM »
Ns1 and ns2 would need the slave DNS setup on them.  Then each server would replicate to them.  You would use ns1 and ns2 as the nameservers on ns10.  Also every server has to have pro to send to ns1
Google Hangouts:  rcschaff82@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 05:25:33 AM »
Not sure if I'm following you correctly. Let's say I have 10x VPS systems using CWP Pro, and we call them VPS1 through VPS10. Currently I have been using same IP for NS1a and NS1b for VPS1. Then used the IP for VPS2, using NS2a and NS2b. Which kind of sucks, if a customer sets the Nameservers on the domain, to for example NS2a and NS2b, but I want to switch him to another server, I need to ask my customer to switch to NS3a and NS3b. So you say, I could install Slave DNS on VPS1 and VPS2. Call them NS1 and NS2, then all other VPS servers can use NS1 and NS2? They could still use their "local" DNS features in CWP, but it will sync to NS1 and NS2?
Or do I have to setup two dedicated NS servers? Not sure I'm explaining this well enough?
Bottom line, I am looking to use NS1 and NS2 for ALL my CWP Pro installation VPS'. I don't want to mess around with each VPS has it's own 2 NS# and point to same IP as its VPS. Suggestions?

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 06:01:31 AM »
That's exactly what I'm saying. Basically, here is the following scenario.
All Domains set their nameservers to ns1 and ns2.  YOu don't need to setup NS for the other 8 servers, but their bind will still hold the records for "Localhost"
Site Hosted:            Nameservers records are in
Srv1 NS1                        NS1, NS2
Srv2 NS2                        NS1, NS2
Srv3                               NS1, NS2, local bind
Srv4                               NS1, NS2, local bind

etc....

Now Srv1 and Srv 2 do NOT have to have a pro license, but 3-10 MUST have a PRO license.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 01:35:25 PM »
Ok, that's great! Thank you.
So install this https://wiki.centos-webpanel.com/slave-dns-server-manager-download-version
on Srv1 and Srv2?
Once that is setup, can I also use Srv1 and Srv2 with Pro license and use as a regular VPS, along side with the NS1 and NS2?
Thanks again for your great help.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 07:26:25 PM »
Ok, I got it to work, following the steps in these pages:
http://wiki.centos-webpanel.com/slave-dns-server-manager-download-version
http://wiki.centos-webpanel.com/slave2-dns-server

Now I have other questions, when setup Slave DNS Manager in CWPPro on VPS3, I see all the Zones listed on that page, but they don't automatically sync to my ns1. It works when I click Push All Domains To Slave. But I'd like it to sync every 5 min's or so, without manually have to press "Push All Domains To Slave".
Also, my ns2 isn't getting synced up with zones from ns1. Because I pushed one of the domains from VPS3 to ns1, and it worked, but waited for a while, and nothing is synced  up to ns2.
I did add a domain on ns2, and it synced to ns1.
What step did I miss?
Thanks a lot!

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 08:57:12 AM »
vps1 should sync to vps2
vps2 should sync to vps1
vps3 - 10 should sync to both 1 & 2

I'm not sure how that slave module works, but It should send over the domain on a new account added.  YOu should only have to "Push" the first time.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 04:12:19 AM »
Ok, I got EVERYTHING working beautifully!!! Thanks for your help.

Except, I found a "bug" in the Slave DNS Server & Manager.
When removing a zone from master or primary (ns1), it does in fact remove it, but not from the folder /var/named/slave
Hence, the secondary server (ns2), won't remove it, and think it's still live.
But if I go in via ssh to ns1 and remove the record manually inside the /var/named/slave
then ns2 is syncing it up, and removing it too. Of course, if I have the crontab setup, which I have at 1 min intervals, for now.

Works great, just a little hiccup with the script. Where do I report that?

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 05:26:35 AM »
YOu can post a new topic with [BUG REPORT], of just leave this here and an admin will see it :)