Author Topic: Serious backup system failure  (Read 5944 times)

Serious backup system failure
« on: June 01, 2020, 09:25:32 AM »
We opened a ticket to CWP today.

We discovered a major flaw in the new backup system.

We have configured the backup with incremental copy, we suppose that it should only copy the files that change, but CWP makes a complete copy each time. This means that only one server with 50 accounts is taking up almost 2 TB of backups.

Doesn't anyone else have this problem with the new backup system?
Partner de CWP

Hosting de calidad en Espaņa con soporte en Espaņol para CWP - https://www.coriaweb.hosting

Re: Serious backup system failure
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 11:08:07 AM »
Relying on beta control panel software for 50 accounts is not a good idea - CWP (Pro) is barely production ready.

You will be much more reliably served by using a custom backup solution, with for example, rsync doing the incremental changes. Other, 3rd party solutions exist, such as borg backup.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:10:04 AM by cynique »

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 12:18:12 PM »
We already have quite a few servers with CWP and they work quite decently.

It's true that many errors need to be corrected, but little by little and collaborating economically is how you get there, not just by criticizing.

As for the reason why I opened this, I ask in case nobody had reported it before, since we have realized today about this problem.
Partner de CWP

Hosting de calidad en Espaņa con soporte en Espaņol para CWP - https://www.coriaweb.hosting

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 01:04:52 PM »
I agree with regards to collaboration, however practical criticism is ignored or frowned upon. Simple spelling mistakes (never mind grammar) even go ignored.
Though I do use CWP on 'live' servers, I'd NEVER trust it with more than just a few sites, that I could migrate to cPanel/DirectAdmin/Keyhelp/ISPConfig very quickly. Lack of confidence?

There are and have been numerous issues with the backup features for much more than a few months. Issues with fundamental features appear to be ignored, in favour of more frivolous ones, such as Shoutcast/Teamspeak/Netdata/whatever.
(I'm sure that I noticed someone else mentioning problems with incremental backups, in another thread/topic.)

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 04:47:22 AM »
I had one production server hosting 100+ sites running with an uptime of 400 days. The server performance depends on how and what you use it. Once set, I did not play around with it as its was a production server. I have a separate test vps  where I keep on testing new features. On the production server I use my own custom backup script.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 08:41:45 AM »
Every day I pray to God that the CWP team not make any wrong move,
I use BACK(Beta) for months without any problem , But they made updates that brought us nightmares

No message, no warning ,

Every day we find a change that creates problems here and there. Is there a way to prevent updates? Permanently

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 10:29:49 AM »
We use virtualization level backups, i.e. we copy the entire servers, it is the most secure way to restore at any time.

But at the user level, it is better the backup system that CWP has, because you can restore only something you need without having to restore the whole server.

The only thing you have to do is make it work as an incremental copy, not that all copies are new even if you have indicated the incremental copy or even integrate with the JetBackup system which is the one we use in CPanel and works very well.
Partner de CWP

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 01:46:52 AM »
We opened a ticket to CWP today.

We discovered a major flaw in the new backup system.

We have configured the backup with incremental copy, we suppose that it should only copy the files that change, but CWP makes a complete copy each time. This means that only one server with 50 accounts is taking up almost 2 TB of backups.

Doesn't anyone else have this problem with the new backup system?

I don't know anything about CWPanel, I already knew this for a month ... The backups exhaust the disc .. I spoke in a posts but nobody speaks anything .. My English is not very good or they made ears of a marker ..
Jony Host

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 09:35:56 AM »
Today we were informed that they have added an option to put a limit on incremental copies. I believe this will be available in the next update.

I have also asked them to change the way they work and to make them truly incremental, which is currently full copies. But the copy limit would already be an improvement.
Partner de CWP