Author Topic: ERROR: You don't have a valid hostname set!  (Read 68465 times)

ERROR: You don't have a valid hostname set!
« on: January 23, 2017, 03:23:39 PM »
Hey guys, I'm new to CWP and I need some help.

I want to switch to a new server and start using CWP, so I am currently setting up the new server.  I've run into a couple of issues, but I've been able to do some searching and solve them.  This issue has not answer that I can find though.

Basically, when I go to Postfix Mail Server Manager, I get the message "ERROR: You don't have a valid hostname set!" in red.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure I have my hostname set.  Can anyone please help me?

Re: ERROR: You don't have a valid hostname set!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 04:32:02 PM »
you need to add a subdomain with valid A record set

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 05:26:03 PM »
You are awesome!  That totally did it.  Thank you!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 10:25:18 PM »
where do you add the sub domain?

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 11:00:11 PM »
You are awesome!  That totally did it.  Thank you!!!

My host is something like srv1.domain.com
I added srv1 to A record in dns settings.
And then it worked. Thanks.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 01:16:27 PM »

I am having the same issue and I apologize for being a noob to CWP, but I do not fully understand the fix for this issue.

what would be subdomain be called? If I have a domain already setup and working then why would a subdomain be needed for email?
 What would the A record point to?

I assume a seasoned programmer would intuitively know these things but I do not.

thanks,

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 01:24:09 PM »
You can think of your hostname as the name you call your server. The format of a hostname looks like a sub domain derived from your main domain eg, srv1.yourdomain.com (you can replace srv1 with anything). It is however technically different to a sub domain as its a host name (clear as mud yet lol).

Anyhow you are able to find and change what your hostname is in CWP via Server Settings > Change Hostname. You also should insert your hostname into the http.conf file ( Apache Settings > Apache Configuration > locate #ServerName and change to

ServerName www.srv1.yourdomain.com:80 (or whatever you named your hostname).

Web servers can house many domain names so the mail server uses the hostname to identify itself when it communicates with other mail servers. Mail servers also require RDNS (reverse DNS) to be set up but this is done at your server provider not via CWP. As Sandeep has mentioned add an A record for the hostname too.

Hope this helps  your understanding :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 01:28:20 PM by 6Sense »
Web Design, Development & VPS Hosting
https://6sense.com.au

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 03:42:43 PM »
 :'(  i am cloud scaleway and i am not able to change the default hostname chosen by cwp is scw-xxxxxxxx, now how can i find the hostname that i should put in there !!!!

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 03:47:51 PM »
:'(  i am cloud scaleway and i am not able to change the default hostname chosen by cwp is scw-xxxxxxxx, now how can i find the hostname that i should put in there !!!!
Contact support for further investigation and setting up proper hostname.

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 04:26:47 PM »
Please guide i have an ip address and the above screenshot of error is the same on the server i have, the cloud provider is scaleway.com

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 01:39:39 PM »
you simply need to set hostname with your provider control panel and then do the same in cwp.

You should use something like srv1.yourdomain.com, replace yourdomain.com with your domain, then you need to point A record for srv1 subdomain to your server ip and setup rDNS/PTR with your server provider (this can be done only by the server provider or you from server control panel NOT CWP).

Scaleway vps can have nat-ed network so you will need to check also this (part for nat-ed network)
http://wiki.centos-webpanel.com/default-page-displayed-for-all-domains
VPS & Dedicated server provider with included FREE Managed support for CWP.
http://www.studio4host.com/

*** Don't allow that your server or website is down, choose hosting provider with included expert managed support for your CWP.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 09:49:41 PM »
HELPPPPP, my name Luis, I had to read the post but mine did not understand anything...

I come to ask the users of the Forum CWP for a help,

I explain ...

I bought Domain in OVH, I bought VPs Contabo, already installed Panel CWP.

renamed Hostserver hostnameserv.dominio.eu my CWP error -> "Hostname is: hostnameserv.dominio.eu and it resolves to IP: (ERROR: You don't have a valid hostname set!)" <-.

entry A hostnameserv.dominio.eu, add on Contabo or is it OVH, or my CWP panel? Thank you for helping everyone. wait..

(I wrote here because you talk about the same problem)

=========CWP the best panel for Host==============
Congratulations to CWP because this excellent panel in 4 or 5 years is a very large evolution. Congratulations. I promise here posting in the forum that I will give a donation as soon as possible ..
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 10:09:33 PM by jony »
Jony Host

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2023, 11:01:13 PM »

Not clear to me too. After adding subdomain in server creation process, should I also add same subdomain over Menu/Domains/Add Subdomain later?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 11:04:23 PM by ljubivoje »

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2023, 07:28:03 PM »

Not clear to me too. After adding subdomain in server creation process, should I also add same subdomain over Menu/Domains/Add Subdomain later?

In the meantime, after research I found that is nothing to do with subdomain itself. That is just a naming protocol related to Postfix.