Author Topic: Cloudlinux or not?  (Read 19246 times)

Cloudlinux or not?
« on: June 23, 2016, 07:23:43 AM »
If I'm hosting a few friends on the server is cloud linux worth the cost, as I'm not really concered about resource abuse (They're small sites and not likely to unless they get hacked)

The only reason I can see for thinking about CL was the cageFS stuff?

Re: Cloudlinux or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 09:17:49 AM »
Hiya,

Depends, if your making sure your 'friends' always use latest php versions, make sure their website is up to date and patch security issue as soon they come out, you use Maldet and CSF, Brute force and all other matters to help you as admin of the server....
Then you might consider to leave as is, but on the other hand, CL is also restricting resources/usage, and provides a little more safe environment. If the  server is compromised then you need to replace the server, there is no 100% cleaning possible. You must replace the server and before doing so find the culprit of the hack and be able to clean that account with risk of new server getting infected...

I personal think with 'shared' hosting CL can help you.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 10:23:02 AM »
The easier option is to just not host anything but my own stuff on the CWP box then it's less of a worry as I'll know exactly how well stuff is patched.etc

Also worst case I can just switch it off if I Needed to.

Might just suggest to the friends they go direct to the host who's cloud platform they're on already.

Used to run a cpanel box years ago, gave it up because I couldn't gurantee being able to dedicate the time to investingating issues in a timely fashon (I'd have locked it down/offline'd it if It did get hacked, but It might have then taking me a while to then get something sorted/investigate it properly)

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 05:27:10 PM »
Best thing is in that situation to make sure you have the cWP set-up and all possible security but use it for your self, that's the best way as if things go wrong it's your only websites.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 06:23:44 PM »
Indeed

Atm on the VM i'm using the only ports accessable from the internet at large inbound are 80/443 (DNS.etc is hosted elsewhere).

Also most outbound ports are firewalled as well.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 07:33:51 PM »
Yeah, there have been several updates with CSF the last days.

Do you also have these php errors throughout CWP?
Just wonder if I am the only one who has this problem.

Kind regards