Author Topic: Centos 7 still the recommended version?  (Read 940 times)

Centos 7 still the recommended version?
« on: February 28, 2022, 11:47:24 AM »
I will buy a new server I read on the official documentation that Centos 7 is the recommended version, we also have the centos 8 stream delayed or even Rocky Linux. This information is updated? Do you still recommend Centos 7?

When the Centos 7 reach the end of life it's possible to update for example to Centos Stream or I will need to create a new installation and migrate manually everything?

It's a little strange to install a OS with about 2 years of life, it's a lot of work to migrate websites and emails and everything related

Re: Centos 7 still the recommended version?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 12:02:10 PM »
yes, centos 7 is still the most covered with all services while el8 is now also mostly all covered including cwp kernel.
So it's up to you about the version you want to select, note that el7 to el8 update is not possible, however, there is a cwp-to-cwp migration tool for account migration.
VPS & Dedicated server provider with included FREE Managed support for CWP.
http://www.studio4host.com/

*** Don't allow that your server or website is down, choose hosting provider with included expert managed support for your CWP.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 01:45:41 PM »
yes, centos 7 is still the most covered with all services while el8 is now also mostly all covered including cwp kernel.
So it's up to you about the version you want to select, note that el7 to el8 update is not possible, however, there is a cwp-to-cwp migration tool for account migration.

But there are any relevant service that it not covered in el8? Or some known important bug?
It's a little annoying to buy a new server and know that in 2 years I will need to move everything from there.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 06:00:50 PM »
I read some where if your on centos 8 stream you cant migrate to any thing after that i moved to rocky linux 8 and every thing is working fine.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 06:11:21 PM »
I read some where if your on centos 8 stream you cant migrate to any thing after that i moved to rocky linux 8 and every thing is working fine.

I also read that and it's other reason that probably make me go for the centos 8 stream delayed

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 09:15:30 PM »
i'm running Centos 8 Stream with Delayed repo. Seems fine so far.

What you actually should be looking out for is the type of virtualization that the server hosting company is using. Avoid OpenVZ servers because some features of CWP wont work on it.
Best ones if I'm not mistaken is Xen-HVM

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 12:07:47 AM »
installed almalinux to test so far (short time) every thing seems fine also.