Author Topic: nGINX ONLY ssl_error_rx_record_too_long  (Read 2423 times)

nGINX ONLY ssl_error_rx_record_too_long
« on: November 18, 2021, 05:38:32 AM »
Hello,
I am having an issue with a nGINX only site.
Since I have enabled IPv6, the SSL is not working anymore; Firefox reports: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long.
It would seem nGINX is not built with IPv6 support (--with-ipv6) nor TLS1.3.
Is there something I can do to fix this other than manually rebuild nGINX? Are there plans to add IPv6 support to CWP in the near future?

Thank you in advance!

Nick

Re: nGINX ONLY ssl_error_rx_record_too_long
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 01:54:55 AM »
The problem seems is with SSL, not with IPv6.
It happens to me, but was updated a nginx version (1.20.2 from nginx repository) that deleted the configuration file '/etc/nginx/nginx.conf', and was needed to restore it from backup.

Check your configuration.

Regards,
Netino

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 06:25:45 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

My /etc/nginx/nginx.conf is in place and having all of the directives in place. SSL works normally on IPv4 only vhosts.

I have paid for a one time support and a CWP representative said that in this case a nGINX source recompile is needed however there was no further communication when I have asked for a guide or how to so that I do not break the CWP functionality... sometimes even this kind of support, paid support, is just of poor quality. Granted, it is only a few euro but still...

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2021, 07:30:31 PM »
You can compile nginx from sources based in the current nginx binary, with command:
Code: [Select]
# nginx -V ("V" is uppercase)

From there, you can compile a new binary with exact same parameters, or even with new modules.

The problem would be know what binary version are you using, if upgraded and changed, or not.
If you know what binary version is correct, chack that command.