Author Topic: mail routing issue  (Read 3301 times)

mail routing issue
« on: February 24, 2022, 08:42:15 PM »
Hello,

I have a domain called abc.com which is hosted on a cwp box with centos6 with accessible via cloud.xyz.com and all user mails are being routed/sent from cloud.xyz.com instead of mail.userdomain.com even though I configured to send via mail.userdomain.com. How can I make it so that it sends from mail.userdomain.com?

There are no mx records pointing to cloud.xyz.com, only postfix main.cf mentions cloud.xyz.com. Maybe this is the file I need to edit? If so how can i edit so that it sends e-mail from the server of the user account?

Thank you all for reading.

Re: mail routing issue
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 10:51:57 PM »
emails are sent from the server and not the user domain meaning that the hostname configured in the postfix is visible in the mail signature source.

also, you should use centos 7/8 as centos 6 is no longer supported.
VPS & Dedicated server provider with included FREE Managed support for CWP.
http://www.studio4host.com/

*** Don't allow that your server or website is down, choose hosting provider with included expert managed support for your CWP.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 03:02:47 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I am using cent7. Disappointing to hear, but it is what it is. So it can't be changed via internal settings right?

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 08:07:34 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I am using cent7. Disappointing to hear, but it is what it is. So it can't be changed via internal settings right?

You can't hide or "fake" your actual source hostname or IP without ending up in the spam folder or worse; getting blacklisted.

In order to operate a legitimate email server, there are some rules that you have to follow. Two of the main once are:

- The server sending mail needs its hostname resolvable to an IP that can be resolved back to the same hostname.
- The server needs to have SPF, DKIM, and DMARC records to authenticate and sign legitimate mails coming from your server. Those also tell the receiving email servers to not accept email from somewhere else pretending to be you or your server. Those are also there to tell other servers that you have your server setup properly to prevent abuse, which help in appearing legitimate.

If your email server has hostname cloud.xyz.com which resolves to IP 123.123.123.123, then the emails cannot be sent while pretending to be another hostname.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 10:54:22 AM »
Hello, but i have another question. Let`s suppose i use CWP as a reseller, and i add 30 domains to the main server, what will say those clients will say if they have to send mails from s1.example.com instead of mail.xwz.net, mail.xyz.net ... ? This is stupid and should be fixed somehow. Cpanel does this, Virtualmin does it... i think most of the panels does this routing and DNS, to be possible to send mails from each domain, for different users... I think CWP is mostly dead,and noone cares in solving the problems and improve the panel, what they do is just maintain it, and not even that. We have to update repos ourselves. This should be made by CWP developers, not by clients. What if we dont know tech not a bit, what we gonna do in this case ? Pay for support and the problem will be the same ? I was in a similar position, few years ago, when i firsly used CWP and i asked for installation support. I told in that ticket what i want to install, and use, and after the installation, what the guy did was a basic install, no other configuration, like i asked for. he just wrote 5 command lines and he asked for 6$ for this. A big rip-off.   

So my question is, can we edit any configuration, and where is located , so each domain to use his custom mx for sending mails ?