Author Topic: Future of CWP?  (Read 11567 times)

Future of CWP?
« on: July 07, 2022, 07:38:41 AM »
Hi everyone,
I am totally new to server administration and i was wondering what is going to be the future of CWP since CentOS 8 is EOL and with CentOS 7 reaching its end in 2024. I find CWP really handy and easy to use and work with, for this i want to invest my time and money on getting familiar with it in order to setup my VPS to host websites. But, if they are going to stop developing in 1.5 year then i find no reason to start with CPW in the first place. So, i was wondering if any of the veteran here has anything to suggest me on what to do with CWP i would be gratefull  :D.

Re: Future of CWP?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 06:18:41 PM »
before some OS version reaches EOL there is a new version released the same was for centos 6, 7, 8
VPS & Dedicated server provider with included FREE Managed support for CWP.
http://www.studio4host.com/

*** Don't allow that your server or website is down, choose hosting provider with included expert managed support for your CWP.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 10:37:01 PM »
before some OS version reaches EOL there is a new version released the same was for centos 6, 7, 8

Use cwp pro don't use the free version it's basically unusable for production sites. use centos 8 then convert to to centos 8 stream, seems to be what cwp wants everyone to do.
SEOtraining1.com -SecureHosting.xyz

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 11:56:06 PM »
Stay away from stream or your be redoing the server at some point use alma linux or rocky linux

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 12:33:42 AM »
Agreed, use AlmaLinux or Rocky Linux 8.6 with CWPpro.

But you do have to disable the CWP repo, so stop incompatibilities with release versions.

Stay away from stream or your be redoing the server at some point use alma linux or rocky linux

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 09:42:21 AM »
Thank you so much everyone for the info. I will give it a shot with Almalinux and fingers crossed everything will work out  ;D

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 10:35:11 AM »
Maybe using centos 8 stream is bad advice, i just installed another cwp web server using centos 8 stream now i am thinking of deleting centos 8 stream and installing rocky linux as i have 1 web server now with almalinux. This is all so confusing, CWP need to support rocky and alma linux and drop the rest?

If you use alamalinux after updating you may need to do this: http://forum.centos-webpanel.com/index.php?topic=12143.msg41887#new

Not tried rockylinux yet going to try tomorrow not enough time to do anything today, i need to reinstall the web server i setup last night using centos 8 stream as it is not long term supported i think.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 10:38:23 AM by Shafire »

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 03:22:03 PM »
If you need help with AlmaLInux 8.6, let me know.
We also have the latest Dovecot (2.3.x), MariaDB (10.8.x) and Apache 2.4.54 running.

Rocky Linux did have some libraries missing last time I checked. Hopefully they fixed that by now.

Maybe using centos 8 stream is bad advice, i just installed another cwp web server using centos 8 stream now i am thinking of deleting centos 8 stream and installing rocky linux as i have 1 web server now with almalinux. This is all so confusing, CWP need to support rocky and alma linux and drop the rest?

If you use alamalinux after updating you may need to do this: http://forum.centos-webpanel.com/index.php?topic=12143.msg41887#new

Not tried rockylinux yet going to try tomorrow not enough time to do anything today, i need to reinstall the web server i setup last night using centos 8 stream as it is not long term supported i think.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2022, 12:40:29 AM »
thanks will give rockylinux a go nice to play around with different stuff, always something to learn in the server config world.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 07:42:51 AM »
4 Days later on rockylinux and cwp pro everything seems stable despite still being a newbie  :D

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 09:29:52 PM »
Just make sure you have these packages installed: perl-DBD-MySQL libuuid-devel

Or you could see some weird thing down the road.
They 'should' be install automatically by CWP, but somehow, sometimes get missed.

We also run: dnf install perl-DBD-MySQL libuuid-devel m4 pcre-devel pcre libtool zlib-devel uuid uuid-devel
On new servers, just to be safe.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2022, 10:56:13 PM »

They 'should' be install automatically by CWP, but somehow, sometimes get missed.

We also run: dnf install perl-DBD-MySQL libuuid-devel m4 pcre-devel pcre libtool zlib-devel uuid uuid-devel

My rockylinux server seems a little faster.

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2022, 11:02:16 PM »

My rockylinux server seems a little faster.
Is this correct?:
 run this command:
dnf install perl-DBD-MySQL libuuid-devel m4 pcre-devel pcre libtool zlib-devel uuid uuid-devel

any other useful commands regarding this issue? i think i may of installed it already but going to try again just in case. Are the admins even monitoring this forum?

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2022, 03:19:21 AM »
That command line is correct.
If a package is already installed, it will tell you and won't reinstall it.

Admins monitor the forums, but are busy doing what they do.

We have bene using CWPpro for over 2 years, so if it's happened, we've probably seen it.
That being said, it's computers, and even some stuff doesn't make any sense to us either (works on every other server, except 1)

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2023, 11:18:56 PM »
Let me chime in and say, I'm totally on board the CWP train for any of my servers that need LAMP/LEMP functionality (i.e. general purpose web server). It has enabled me to ditch the monthly cPanel tax, as its cPanel -> CWP migration feature, while not flawless was functional. So over the last several years I have become more and more familiar with its internal plumbing, after being on cPanel/WHM for the last decade before that. So while there are some bugs and issues, it is totally workable and affordable.

Even with Red Hat pulling the rug out from under us with CentOS support ending, we have viable alternatives with RockyLinux and AlmaLinux. (I don't really count CentOS 8 Stream being a viable alternative to the stability and long term support offered by CentOS 6 and now CentOS 7.) So I look forward to migrating to either Rocky or Alma before June 2024 when CentOS 7 is EOL.

So welcome to CWP -- enjoy the ride!