Author Topic: Hostname / Main Server Account & Domain  (Read 1397 times)

Hostname / Main Server Account & Domain
« on: June 07, 2023, 01:52:34 PM »
I am new to CWP and a bit confused about the initial setup / config for the main "Admin or Root" account.

The hostname is server1.mydomain.com and it will be the admin / root account that will access this address. All other user accounts and hosted domains will be added to the VPS at a later time.

When I try to setup SSL (auto free etc.) for the server1 host, I am asked to choose a domain and account. So do I need to create a domain and additional user account to access the admin / root account as if it was a user or is this taken care of buy the server settings change hostname?

I currently have zero domains and zero accounts setup, ONLY the CWP root account and my hostname server1.mydoamin.com

Any advice how I can access the admin panel via the root account using SSL?

Re: Hostname / Main Server Account & Domain
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 05:19:18 PM »
"Server Settings" --> "Change Hostname"

put "server.example.com" into the field "New Hostname:", active all options and click on "Change Hostname".
(replace "server.example.com" with the subdomain you want to use for your VPS/server. It will not be used by your site. It is how yout server/VPS will be called.)

Before you do it, make sure the value (subdomain) used by you as "Hostname" is resolved to the primary IP address of your VPS/server.

Then you can create an account for your domain name "example.com" and upload the files of your website into the account to make example.com accessible for internet users.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 05:23:32 PM by cyberspace »

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 07:59:42 PM »
Thank you for replying. I have followed this process many times without success.

I have entered server1.mydomain.com in the Change Hostname screen.

Before you do it, make sure the value (subdomain) used by you as "Hostname" is resolved to the primary IP address of your VPS/server.
How is this done? I tried to set up DNS and create the records for the domain name and nameservers with still no luck.

Then you can create an account for your domain name "example.com" and upload the files of your website into the account to make example.com accessible for internet users.
Why do I have to create a new account? I wanted to manage this all from root account. It is not for my users, it is so I can access the admin panel securely using SSL.

I thank you for this information. I am tryin to learn this again.

Thank you.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 08:22:01 PM »

How is this done? I tried to set up DNS and create the records for the domain name and nameservers with still no luck.

In command prompt of your local computer run:

Code: [Select]
nslookup server1.mydomain.com
and check output. You should get something like:
Server: somename
Address: dnsresolver

Name: server1.mydomain.com
Address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Take a look at the second pair "Name / Address". Address will show the IP of your VPS/Server. If you get something like "Can't find server1.mydomain.com" then it means there is some problem with the resolution of the subdomain/hostname.

Why do I have to create a new account? I wanted to manage this all from root account. It is not for my users, it is so I can access the admin panel securely using SSL.

CWP installs the Let's Encrypt SSL for the hostname too. So you will be able to access the panel over HTTPS (https://server1.mydomain.com:2031) when the problem with the hostname resolution is solved.

It is better to host every website in a separate account for security reasons. However, you are free to add "mydomain.com" as an addon/extra domain name to the existing account.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 02:07:17 AM »
i have done all the steps , but still whenever i open my admin panel ssl url , it redirects from ssl to non ssl link

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 06:41:08 AM »
1. Are you able to access the admin area over the URL like  https://hostname.com:2031/ ?

2. Do you get the IP address of your server when you ping the hostname of the server/vps ?

3. Did you enable all options "SSL for ..." under CWP --> Server Settings --> Change Hostname ?