Author Topic: How to upgrade the OS  (Read 1893 times)

How to upgrade the OS
« on: June 29, 2023, 11:25:18 AM »
I currently manage three servers, one running CentOS 7 and two running CentOS 8 Stream. All of them use CWP Pro. As CentOS 7 is nearing its end of life, I'm considering upgrading to either AlmaLinux or RockyLinux. I understand that there are ways to upgrade from CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux, but I'm concerned about potential compatibility issues with CWP. I'm leaning towards setting up a new server entirely to avoid these issues. Has anyone here already done this?

On the CentOS 7 server, I host around 100 domains. I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to migrate these to a new server. Is there a method to move all accounts at once, or will I have to transfer each user account manually?

Furthermore, if I switch to a new machine, the IP will change. Will I need to inform all of my clients to update the IP on their nameservers?

Any suggestions to simplify this process will be greatly appreciated.

Re: How to upgrade the OS
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 03:55:23 PM »
As I know there is no way to convert Centos 7 to Almalinux/RockyLinux 8/9. It means you need to do following:

1. Install new server/VPS with Almalinux/RockyLinux 8/9;
2. Install CWP on the new server;
3. Configure all services and extra applications according to your requirements (requirements of your websites);
4. Use CWP migration options to transfer accounts

The old and new boxes will use different IPs. So yes, your clients will have to update the IP in their DNS to point the domain names to the new server (actual IP address)

I recommend you to use Almalinux 8. It seems Alma 8 is more compatible with CWP then RockyLinux 8/9, Almalinux 9.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 08:45:52 PM »
My plan (for spring 2024) on my CentOS 7.9 VMs will be to spin up a new AlmaLinux 9 VM and install CWP. According to the devs, they are working on EL9 support and I am hopeful it will be ready to go next spring, before the coming EOL apocalypse. Since the 2 VMs will reside on the same physical machine, it should be comparatively quick to do a CWP migration from VM to VM. Then a final rsync after the fact, pause the CentOS 7 VM, change the IP of the AlmaLinux 9 VM to be the IP of the CentOS 7 VM and spin it up. This will require no DNS reconfiguration. Obviously, I'll be watching the landscape as things progress this winter & next spring and block out a low traffic weekend (perhaps over US holidays) to enact the server switchovers.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 03:57:44 PM »
My problem:
Can't get CWP Pro activated on new server.

Scenario:
I currently have a CentOS 7 server with CWP Pro. It's been running great for several years but I would like to migrate to a new AlmaLinux 8 server. I want to migrate each account/domain, one-by-one, over the course of couple of months so I will need both CWP servers up and running. Once all have been migrated and fully tested on the new server, I will delete the original CentOS 7 server.

My CWP servers are VM's hosted on my own network, behind a WAF (reverse-proxy) so I am using the same public IP address for both the old and new CWP servers. I cannot get CWP Pro to activate on the new server.

Since the CWP Pro license is tied to the public IP, I should be able to accomplish what I'm attempting with a single license, shouldn't I?

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 02:52:56 AM »
I would just pay the additional $$ -- cost of doing business. Unless they could grant you some kind of special temp license for migration. Maybe they ought to consider a 1-3 mo temp license for this use case -- people migrating from CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux or Rocky.

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 11:12:01 AM »
I would just pay the additional $$...
I went ahead and did just that since the price for Pro is still reasonable. I really appreciate the fact that the dev's have kept the pricing affordable for hobbyists and small business unlike some other entities; DNS Made Easy comes to mind  >:(

I did find the problem... It was related to licensing but not in the way that I suspected. It turned out to be that my masquerading rule was being overridden by web shaping so my public IP address was not matching what I specified. Had I simply ran curl "http://www.centos-webpanel.com/ip/" in the beginning, I would have fixed the issue much sooner and could probably perform my migration with a single license.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 11:35:39 AM by jeffshead »

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2023, 05:54:20 PM »
I currently manage three servers, one running CentOS 7 and two running CentOS 8 Stream. All of them use CWP Pro. As CentOS 7 is nearing its end of life, I'm considering upgrading to either AlmaLinux or RockyLinux. I understand that there are ways to upgrade from CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux, but I'm concerned about potential compatibility issues with CWP. I'm leaning towards setting up a new server entirely to avoid these issues. Has anyone here already done this?

On the CentOS 7 server, I host around 100 domains. I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to migrate these to a new server. Is there a method to move all accounts at once, or will I have to transfer each user account manually?

Furthermore, if I switch to a new machine, the IP will change. Will I need to inform all of my clients to update the IP on their nameservers?

Any suggestions to simplify this process will be greatly appreciated.

The Elevate Tool/Script alma provides is working well in upgrading, but if you wanna setup a new server, the CWP to CWP migration tool is working very well, did this a view times without any problems.

I don't have a problem with migrating accounts from one server to another but i really would prefer the in place upgrade amal provides because setting up the server with all the security tweaks etc will cost me way more time than just migrating accounts, this is the smallest part.

I really wanna avoid configuring everything again so Elevate is the way i will go when it is time to change. And in half a year, i hope they will improve this process so it will work at 95%

Why isn't Elevating a way, you don't wanna try?