Author Topic: Any update on a CWP release for CENTOS 9 Delayed Stream?  (Read 3805 times)

Any update on a CWP release for CENTOS 9 Delayed Stream?
« on: October 28, 2023, 04:26:59 PM »
I'd like to start doing some testing on a Centos 9 platform.  Are we looking at Spring of 2024 for a CWP release, or could it be earlier?

Re: Any update on a CWP release for CENTOS 9 Delayed Stream?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 08:32:58 PM »
We are very soon to release the first stable version of cwp9, possibly in the next few days we will look for some enthusiasts to control some close tests, surely all this will be announced in due course by this means!

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 12:53:12 PM »
We are very soon to release the first stable version of cwp9, possibly in the next few days we will look for some enthusiasts to control some close tests, surely all this will be announced in due course by this means!

A blog post would be nice. I am in the process of moving from CWP to Virtualmin because of the absolute lack of information.

I might put a hold on that if the release all goes well.  :)

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 01:33:04 PM »

Nice. I dont know how but my serwer show that have el7 cwp 7.2 on Almalinux 8. After login to admin I get error 404//not found i tried all steps which i could find - nothing helped. So I would like test new CWP on Almalinux 9, when all my sites stil works on old instalation, and I will try migrate them to new instalation.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 01:34:55 PM by skyref »

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 05:16:47 PM »

Great news!  Where exactly will the closed test announcement be made.  In this forum, in which section?

Thanks!

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 05:40:19 PM »
I would be interested in testing an EL9 release candidate after the new year, as I will be migrating everything over to AlmaLinux 9 come next spring.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2023, 06:43:16 PM »

I would like to know when the release is expected?  I am facing the construction of a new infrastructure and I do not want to work with legacy Linux when the EL9 version is close.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 04:04:00 AM »
Haven't seen any follow-up announcements from the dev team. If your timeframe is tight, I don't think you could go wrong with AlmaLinux 8 and CWP for EL8. You should likely be able to ELevate to AlmaLinux 9 when CWP for EL9 comes out and is stable...

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2023, 06:47:08 AM »
The life cycles for AlmaLinux are:

AlmaLinux 8.x   2029
AlmaLinux 9.x   2032

So installing CWP EL8 on AlmaLinux 8.x as @overseer mentioned is a safe bet for awhile.

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 09:14:41 PM »
Haven't seen any follow-up announcements from the dev team. If your timeframe is tight, I don't think you could go wrong with AlmaLinux 8 and CWP for EL8. You should likely be able to ELevate to AlmaLinux 9 when CWP for EL9 comes out and is stable...

The life cycles for AlmaLinux are:

AlmaLinux 8.x   2029
AlmaLinux 9.x   2032

So installing CWP EL8 on AlmaLinux 8.x as @overseer mentioned is a safe bet for awhile.

Thanks for the quick answer, I admit that I was only thinking about ubuntu so far. But after this I will definitely consider using AlmaLinux...

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2023, 01:29:32 AM »
Saw your reply, just a FYI CWP only runs on RH type systems, Not Debian type.

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2023, 09:23:21 AM »
Saw your reply, just a FYI CWP only runs on RH type systems, Not Debian type.

I don't know why I wrote ubuntu, I meant CentOS 8.  :o

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2023, 03:32:49 PM »
It happens.

RH killed off CentOS 8, and created CentOS Stream, which is now a beta version for RHEL, instead of an after-build.

So it's now:
Fedora -> CentOS Stream -> RHEL.
(alpha) -> (beta) -> Release/Production Release

The only options for an 8 based system is RHEL 8, AlmaLinux 8, etc.

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2024, 03:07:25 PM »
Any update on CWP9 release?

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2024, 03:28:56 PM »
Haven't heard anything lately.

AlmaLinux 8.x has an EOL of 2029
AlmaLinux 9.x has an EOL of 2032

By then, there'll probably be an AlmaLinux 10, or even 11.

So I'm wondering if they might be skipping 9, since the EOL of the two are pretty close.
And if you have to make major changes to the code, just to turn around and have to do it over in a  couple years might not make sense.
But I'm not a programmer.

Kinda like how ionCube skipped over PHP 8.0