Author Topic: setup only email  (Read 1224 times)

setup only email
« on: November 23, 2023, 01:07:59 PM »
Is there a way to have only email setup for some domain? The main domain defaultnam.com is hosted on a different server. We just want email for this domain on a different CWP server. I cant seem to find how to setup the SSL if main domain in not on same server as emailserver. Can someone please help me with some ideas?
Cheers, Ron

Re: setup only email
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2023, 02:25:46 AM »
Seems as though you could do a remote mailer exchange (MX) and handle this with DNS -- I do this with a couple of domains. You don't need to have a working website and you can certainly have a mail hostname getting AutoSSL, it doesn't need to be a full domain with associated service subdomains (mail.domain.com).

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2023, 02:29:21 AM »
You can you create it as normal, but just use the mail portion.
Just point the MX A record to the CWP server.

We have clients doing this.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 08:46:41 AM »
Seems as though you could do a remote mailer exchange (MX) and handle this with DNS -- I do this with a couple of domains. You don't need to have a working website and you can certainly have a mail hostname getting AutoSSL, it doesn't need to be a full domain with associated service subdomains (mail.domain.com).

Okay but they have a website on a different CWP server already. On that server there is no email. So how do I setup the mail domain to the new CWP server? Is there some howto how you did it? Any help is useful. Thanks so much

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 08:48:52 AM »
You can you create it as normal, but just use the mail portion.
Just point the MX A record to the CWP server.

We have clients doing this.

I thought so too. But then the SSL option does fail. It does not create a valid SSL certificate. It says it created the mail.domain.com as admin service but the SSL does not work. And when I test it via the SSL check tool there is no valid SSL. Any help?

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 06:57:44 PM »
The mail server's main is the hostname, which has SSL.
So when you setup email accounts, for the mailserver you would use that hostname (e.g. srv1.servername.net)
Clients like Thunderbird should follow the A record, and find this.

--

Or you can try how we use to do thing, back when we had IIS & IMail.

Create an A record for mail.domain.name
In your MX record you will create, MX 0 mail.domain.name

On the CWP you are using for mail, create the domain name of mail.domain.name.

This will allow you to create a SSL for mail.
Only trick when they login to webmail, it will be user@mail.domain.name, instead of user@domain.name.

But I'm curious, if you have a CWP server running with the website, why not use that server for email?

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 11:54:40 PM »
Look under Email > Email Routing (mx_routing). On the CWP mail server, you need to set the Mail Exchanger to Local. On the CWP web server, you need to change the Mail Exchanger to Remote. Set the DNS appropriately on each server, so it resolves properly.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 11:08:34 AM »
The mail server's main is the hostname, which has SSL.
So when you setup email accounts, for the mailserver you would use that hostname (e.g. srv1.servername.net)
Clients like Thunderbird should follow the A record, and find this.

--

Or you can try how we use to do thing, back when we had IIS & IMail.

Create an A record for mail.domain.name
In your MX record you will create, MX 0 mail.domain.name

On the CWP you are using for mail, create the domain name of mail.domain.name.

This will allow you to create a SSL for mail.
Only trick when they login to webmail, it will be user@mail.domain.name, instead of user@domain.name.

But I'm curious, if you have a CWP server running with the website, why not use that server for email?

Thanks! They dont want email on same server as website. So that is decided long ago. I found out that this can be setup with Directadmin just fine. So there must be a way to do this also for CWP I guess. For now I will use the main hostname as servername for IMAP ans SMTP. That works for now.