Author Topic: 403 Forbidden -- Pterodactyl Web Panel Error  (Read 1727 times)

403 Forbidden -- Pterodactyl Web Panel Error
« on: December 12, 2023, 06:56:25 PM »
Hello! I am trying to install the Pterodactyl Game Panel through CWP. I have downloaded the panel(https://pterodactyl.io/panel/1.0/getting_started.html#download-files) in my /home/domainName/public_html/panel folder and I have fallowed all the steps, but changing some configuration to the right location for this. The problem is, when I'm trying to access the web panel through my browser, it gives me "403 Forbidden You don't have permission to access this resource.". Why is that? Am I getting something wrong?

Configuration I changed from the tutorial:

chown -R domainName:DomainName /home/domainName/public_html/panel/* (turns out that CWP is using the user name for handling apache (hope I'm not mistaken) )

for Crontab: * * * * * php /home/domainName/public_html/panel/artisan schedule:run >> /dev/null 2>&1

modified /etc/systemd/system/pteroq.service to this:

Code: [Select]
# Pterodactyl Queue Worker File
# ----------------------------------

[Unit]
Description=Pterodactyl Queue Worker
After=redis.service

[Service]
# On some systems the user and group might be different.
# Some systems use `apache` or `nginx` as the user and group.
User=domainName
Group=domainName
Restart=always
ExecStart=/usr/bin/php /home/domainName/public_html/panel/artisan queue:work --queue=high,standard,low --sleep=3 --tries=3
StartLimitInterval=180
StartLimitBurst=30
RestartSec=5s

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
Thank you so much! (as for CWP is newly fresh installed, so it's the latest version and my OS is Alma Linux 8, if it helps)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 07:20:33 PM by bestmank »

Re: 403 Forbidden -- Pterodactyl Web Panel Error
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 04:39:08 AM »
I'm going to go out on a limb, and say that this is not going to be supported by CWP.  Your game server requires basically a dedicated server, or VPS.  I would highly recommend you either virtualize a new environment, or use a separate server.  Following the directions of installing composer and PHP8 may well muck up your CWP installation.
Google Hangouts:  rcschaff82@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 08:16:18 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb, and say that this is not going to be supported by CWP.  Your game server requires basically a dedicated server, or VPS.  I would highly recommend you either virtualize a new environment, or use a separate server.  Following the directions of installing composer and PHP8 may well muck up your CWP installation.
Yes,I'm using a KVM VPS(16GB/4 cores)

By "virtualize a new environment" you mean to use something like docker?(and use a subdomain pointing to it?)
I don't really wanna get rid of CWP just for this..
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 08:18:14 PM by bestmank »

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 12:29:48 AM »
Use a separate, dedicated VM for you Pterodactyl install with Webmin or Copilot for an admin interface. Keep CWP for web hosting/reselling.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 02:20:56 AM »
You could try installing lxd on your VPS, though it's really made for dedicated servers.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 02:43:12 PM »
Use a separate, dedicated VM for you Pterodactyl install with Webmin or Copilot for an admin interface. Keep CWP for web hosting/reselling.
alright everyone..you got me
Seems that I should go for another option(like y'all said, a virtual enviorment, using another Control Panel like Webmin or hosting it on another Server
But, can you explain a little why it's messing with CWP so much(or why are they so incompatible with each other?)

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 07:10:58 PM »
CWP is a full top-down LAMP/LEMP stack with DNS, mail services, etc. -- everything you need for web hosting. In a way, it is a house of cards that you can't mess with or change too much out of spec from the default configuration or you will break core functionality.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 07:21:56 PM »
To put it bluntly, CWP updates will break your Pterodactyl every time you update, unless you know what you are doing.  I'm sure they COULD work together, but it's really not worth the headache for either Pterodactyl to break CWP or CWP to break Pterodactyl.  Just my humble opinion.

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2023, 05:55:32 PM »
To put it bluntly, CWP updates will break your Pterodactyl every time you update, unless you know what you are doing.  I'm sure they COULD work together, but it's really not worth the headache for either Pterodactyl to break CWP or CWP to break Pterodactyl.  Just my humble opinion.
CWP is a full top-down LAMP/LEMP stack with DNS, mail services, etc. -- everything you need for web hosting. In a way, it is a house of cards that you can't mess with or change too much out of spec from the default configuration or you will break core functionality.
Isn't the WEB GamePanel just a web application(like any other app, Wordpress, Forum Platform like IPB, etc)? Why it messes so much with the server it's hosted on?
I believe, from what y'all saying, it's very different from Open Game Panel[which doesn't have any problem being integrated on]?(https://github.com/OpenGamePanel/OGP-Website)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 05:57:17 PM by bestmank »

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2023, 10:20:11 PM »
1). Cwp doesn't use /var/www, it uses /usr/local/apache/htdocs

2). Cwp doesn't support docker directly

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 05:37:46 PM »
1). Cwp doesn't use /var/www, it uses /usr/local/apache/htdocs

2). Cwp doesn't support docker directly
1) These configurations can be changed in the wings.service file(as for the vHost file from Apache just add the 2 settings that are missing)
2) Isn't docker handled by the panel Wing's service?(Wing it's just like a server that website just connects to it, right?)

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2023, 09:27:54 PM »
Any change your make to an Apache vhost file stands the change of being overwritten during updates by CWP.  Hence why I wouldn't change put them together on the server.