Author Topic: Dynamic IP?  (Read 9412 times)

Dynamic IP?
« on: June 30, 2016, 07:43:09 PM »
I hope I'm not posting a duplicate post here, since I got error message saying I have already posted the same topic but tbh it didn't get posted..

So anyways let's give it another shot. Sys reqs for CentOS Web Panel: Static IP

Why? What happens in a long term if I install Web Panel to a machine with dynamic IP and dyndns service? Something would obviously get messed up but what is it and why this is a system requirement?

Couldn't find anything about this on Google so thanks a billion for any answers for this one in advance!!! :)

Re: Dynamic IP?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 09:53:12 AM »
You can install it on a server with dynamic ip but the dyndns is no use for you. you have to go manual and update the IP. or you use NAT-ED that allows you to run as private ip with 192.168.x.x and used the public IP as default. i done it by myself just last week. but you run into other issues. with sending emails. Most of dynamic IPs are in the blacklist of Zen.Spamhaus.net. so you can not send emails to Hotmail and many other places. with dynamic ip you automatic listed in 4 blacklists. to come over that you need to relay your mails to and other provider with static ip. and the most importent is your router. Can he handle so much traffic? common routers have a single core 400Mhz processor. then you have a good one. then the electric bill server runs 24 hours. if you use a common pc you will use 250Watts. time 24 hour. divided by 1000 multiply by your costs of KwH. then plus the low bandwidth of your broadband. download is maybe something with 40+Mbit. But this is not importent for a server the server is sending data so uploading so the upload speed is a factor and the is something around 2+Mbit. in a data center you get 100mbit up and download. or even better. for testing or as development system is it alright. but not as a permanent or live system. to many compromises. and what you do if your broadband is down? and their so many open question. you need a failover broadband. in the case one goes down the other one takes over. i did that with a usb dongle for 4G and plugged that as failover. luckly the router can do that. for the email trouble i relay all emails over google for hotmail and many other. Yahoo does not make a spamhaus check. they went truth. but they land in the junk folder and not in the inbox. hotmail did not accept my emails at all. then we come to the dns server. you need to set the dns zone to TTL for 500 only which is below the RFC standard. so every 500 seconds they will update the DNS server in the world. if you have 86400 seconds that is one day. so in that day you get new ip but the DNS in the world have still your old ip until the 86400 seconds are finished only then they update. but in the mean time the website will not reachable. so you see you have to make some changes but it is possible to run. And you will run into many issues. CWP likes statics things. one more. with every new IP the your hostname changes offically for the PTR records. that mean your server host name needs to be updated also. and it could be also a breach of your T&C for the broadband that depend on your provider. And some provider filter port 80 which you need for HTTP and 100% they filter port 25  for email. so it now depend for what purpose you will use it. this are all the issues which i found. i hope it helps you a bit.