Author Topic: Faild Install last Version Netdata in CWP (Control Web Pannel) Centos 7  (Read 3747 times)

CentOS 8 Stream EOL: May 31st 2024
If they wanted it fixed...then you wouldn't have to fight so hard for them to fix it. Money is made on problems.....problems that you pay them to fix....but they created themselves. Why should you pay CWP to fix their own software? Is that their business model?

Hi LP Jon,

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't knew that during copy and paste, scripts were being screwed up.
I downloaded your file and uploaded it to my server. i executed it... through the web gui and the cli,
 but the results the same.  this time it installs but gives a lot of errors at the end and there for its not working.

i have an install log with the errors . https://gofile.io/d/PenG4t

hope you can find out what is going wrong.

Regards,

Mike

Alright! I have a working script but I want to do a few more tests with it. I have some questions for you before I publish it on github.
1. Are you using the "vault.centos.org" repos since CentOS 8 Stream is EOL as of May this year.
2. Do you have issues with installing a few packages from the CentOS 9 Stream Repo? (Not available anywhere else)
3. Can you snapshot your server before trying to install with this. I'm hoping you have it running in a Virtual Machine.
4. If you are not using the "vault" repo...what repo are you using?

I'll report back with more after a few more tests.
If they wanted it fixed...then you wouldn't have to fight so hard for them to fix it. Money is made on problems.....problems that you pay them to fix....but they created themselves. Why should you pay CWP to fix their own software? Is that their business model?

Okay! Before you use this I have to make some disclaimers...lol. So here they are:

1. !!!YOU ARE USING THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
2. Two packages are from the CentOS 9 Stream Repo (lz4-libs-1.9.3-5.el9.x86_64.rpm lz4-devel-1.9.3-5.el9.x86_64.rpm) and may cause issues later on since they are not officially for CentOS 8 Stream. They are required for Netdata so there is no getting around this on CentOS 8 Stream as it is EOL.
3. This will remove the old failed install of Netdata before trying to install it again.
4. This fixes the automatic start issue of Netdata on reboot
5. I have NO IDEA the long term effect this install could have because of the CentOS 9 Stream packages.

All that said, all tests on a vanilla CWP install on CentOS 8 Stream show good.

If you still want to try this then run the one liner command below:
Code: [Select]
cd /scripts && cp install_netdata install_netdata.orig && wget -O install_netdata https://github.com/LPJon/cwpfixes/raw/main/install_netdata && /scripts/./install_netdata

Also if anyone is having issues with yum and being able to run updates you will need to switch over to the vault.cento.org repo. You can reference the following link in order to do so if needed. This script does NOT account for this issue.

Forum link to describe how to switch to vault repo:
https://forum.logik.tv/t/yum-failing-on-centos-8/5225

If you don't understand what is going on in that post then please leave me a message here and I will try to provide a one liner to get you converted over to the vault repos.

For anyone who doesn't know, the "vault" repo is an archive repo for CentOS versions that are EOL and can be found at: https://vault.centos.org/

Also not allot of 3rd part repo are just disabling & deleting repos for EL7.

So yes, for now, Red Hat has the CentOS 7 Archive going, but given their history, who knows for how long.

I know some mirrors, who are just removing the CentOS 7 repos all together to save space for other active projects.

Best bet is to switch over to AlmaLinux 8 to avoid any security breaches due to unpatched servers.

Code updated to support CentOS 7 and 9 Stream

HI LPJon.

Sorry for the late response, been hectic past week.

1. Are you using the "vault.centos.org" repos since CentOS 8 Stream is EOL as of May this year.
-  Yes cwp was automatic updated
2. Do you have issues with installing a few packages from the CentOS 9 Stream Repo? (Not available anywhere else)
-  No issues with other software installations
3. Can you snapshot your server before trying to install with this. I'm hoping you have it running in a Virtual Machine.
-  Its on a bare metal machine. I do make images from it so i can go back if needed.
4. If you are not using the "vault" repo...what repo are you using?
-  all the repo's that cwp changed during their updates. i have to open all the repo's 1 by 1 to see. but the main ones are set to vault.

I have used your script, and it is working flawless. thank you for that. It took some time to install, even i do have a pretty fast machine.. but then it works as i remember from before. I seen a few times error during the install and things that could not be found. but in the end its working on CWP stream.

I do know centos 8 stream is eol but i dont know what  to do yet. if its possible to do an online inline upgrade or if i have to do a complete new setup with 9.

Anyways netdata is working awesome. thank you so much for this.

Best regards,
Mike

Dutch_Mike,
     Thanks for reporting back on this. Glad it's working as expected. It does take several minutes to compile and install.

Please do remember that CWP will overwrite the "install_netdata" script every 24hrs unless you make it "immutable". This won't have any effect unless you uninstall netdata and try to reinstall it.

The truth is that CentOS 9 Stream isn't doing so well either. Stream versions of CentOS are beta versions of Red Hat. AlmaLinux is looking better moving into the future according to most. However, the next mainstream generation of CWP is going to be supported on CentOS 9 Stream or Rocky Linux I think as this is what it looks like from their website.

To very shortly describe the upgrade process to CentOS 9 Stream, you need to setup another server with CentOS 9 Stream minimal install on it. Then run the CWP installer script provided on their website. Then setup an API key between the servers and migrate from one server into another.

Here is a link to their instructions on how to accomplish this:
https://docs.control-webpanel.com/docs/admin-guide/user-accounts/cwp-to-cwp-migration

Please note that this should work with any version of Linux that CWP supports but I have not tested any of them.