Author Topic: Apache Compiler  (Read 62635 times)

Re: Apache Compiler
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2023, 10:33:28 PM »
Hmmm. I never applied any "secret sauce" to get to Apache 2.4.56. I run php-fpm and run
Code: [Select]
yum -y update regularly.

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2023, 05:38:23 AM »
Both "Apache Compiler" and "PHP-FPM Selector (php_selector3)" are CWP enhanced features or "secret sauce" as you call it, and your responding to a thread about "Apache Compiler" that you apparently have not Used, Tested or have any Knowledge about.

Please let's try to help each other in the forum, not misguide

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2023, 02:29:25 AM »
Huh? That's quite the perspective...

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2023, 08:11:45 AM »
Sorry overseer, I know to the forum I have status "Newbie", but within IT Operation I am a Senior Architect, and was an Application Architect for many years.
That is why I can say CWP are primary build/managed by IT Developers/Technicians, not Architects.
Many CWP enhanced features break (disable) other CWP enhanced features, but does not inform or indicate this, so it is important to know what CWP features have been utilized, to be able to know why CWP behave as it does.

Like the "Apache Builder (compiler)", when used then YUM updates of CWP Apache are ignored, you have to manually choose newer compile selection (if possible).
Like the "PHP Version Switcher (php_switch_v2)", when used then YUM updates of CWP PHP are ignored, you have to manually choose newer PHP version selection (if possible).

"Setup default Web Servers (WebServers_manage)" are a clear exception, from what I can see it does not break anything (just let Admins choose) and both makes light test and have clear info how it interact with some of the other Enhancements/Options.
Ex. just above "Save and Rebuild Configuration" a possible check-mark to 
"Force Apache to use PHP-FPM Selector, this will disable PHP Selector 2 and PHP Version Switcher. (NOT installed, click here to install) [** CWPpro required **]"

The way I got away from the "Apache Compiler" and now able to get/follow newer updates, was via "Yum Manager" and under "Installed Packages"  reinstall all the CWP-* packages, AFTER I had manually found and removed all the somehow added extra mod_security configurations in some of the conf.d/*.conf  & conf.d/vhosts/*.conf files.
Then Apache again was able to restart after 2.4.56-1 update.

The "Apache Compiler" page now show
Apache Builder (compiler)

You are running Apache version:

Server version: Apache/2.4.56 (Unix)
Server built:   Mar 14 2023 13:11:28

Loaded Modules:
 .... (static)
 ... (static)

and as latest version in "Select NEW Apache version" are "Apache 2.4.52 & suPHP 0.7.2" I commend never to press "Next >" on the in the future.
So I say Apache Builder (compiler) are EOL (End of Life)

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2023, 12:17:57 PM »
Okay, great. Glad you got it sorted. My usual troubleshooting method on this forum is to "compare notes" with the person in need -- see how their configuration and use case matches up with mine. We had some overlap, so I mentioned which apache version I had running on my CWP servers, in conjunction with php-fpm (not suPHP and not using the PHP Version Switcher). I have only used the PHP Version Switcher on one server that was 1:1, dedicated to a single client -- so I have used it and do have some experience with it. All my other servers host multiple clients so php-fpm is a better use case, as each client often needs a specific version of PHP for different web apps/content management systems.

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2023, 02:58:18 PM »
Yes and that is my I recommend all to keep away from the "Apache Compiler" unless you really NEED an OLD Apache version, and I then hope that is for an internal only setup.

but also found out even I had manually updated OpenSSL, then the CWP-HTTPD are build with custom openssl-1.0.2k-fips mod_ssl and very outdated.

So I have to break CWP control, and build in myself
https://www.uxlinux.com/how-to-enable-tls-1-3-in-apache-on-cwp-control-web-panel-centos-7-centos-8-el7-el8/

PS. apache-rebuild-new7.sh used older 2.4.55, but I changed that, and also fixed issue with missing lib64

Now running Apache 2.4.57 with OpenSSL 3.0.8