Author Topic: Using CWP with Amazon RDS  (Read 9432 times)

Using CWP with Amazon RDS
« on: April 11, 2017, 09:10:23 AM »
Hi,
I am planning to use EC2 for the web application and Amazon RDS for database. Has anyone tried to setup CWP to run on Amazon RDS instead of a standalone mysql installation?

Regards,
-Pramod

Re: Using CWP with Amazon RDS
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 01:47:14 PM »
Hi Pramod,
No, I havenīt done that yet.. but I guess, that you shouldnīt have any sort trouble, as long as you open port 3306 to connect the EC2 to the RDS..
What Iīve done is very similar.. I had 4 EC2 instances, (1 web server with CWP installed, 2 web servers - only with apache  - and 1 ec2 With MySql).. It worked all fine!

cheers!

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 06:31:18 AM »
Hello Fredo,

Sorry to bump an old conversation here, but what you are describing is like what I have been working towards. I have been working my way through numerous web panels to find the one that is best suited for this architecture.

How easy did you find this with CWP? I ask because I've noticed that many panels are inextricably connected to the SQL and Web instances, where the only easy choice is using EFS or other NFS/CIFS/SMB methods to share a data disk for other web nodes. My current layout is basically as you described: Panel Server, AutoScaleGroup ( 2(minimum) Web Servers ),  Aurora Cluster, EFS x 2 mounted as NFS.

Beyond picking AWS and picking the panel feature set I needed, the next part was trying to find panels that are easy to segregate the duties for. Is this the case with CWP? I ask because it is now on my shortlist for trying and seeing how you've done something quite similar, your experience may be helpful!

Kind Regards,
LN
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:04:18 AM by limpingninja »

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:17:50 AM »
I have a few servers on AWS with RDS backends CWP works really well have a look at this though

http://wiki.centos-webpanel.com/remote-mysql-with-socat-socket

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 04:12:21 AM »
Hello Glenn,

Thanks for the link - did not seem to work for me though, I've changed the backend configuration files for PhpMyAdmin, RoundCube, and PostFix by hand since they were not working. I have socat running pointed to my AWS cluster.

The annoying bit I run into is when I attempt to use the module MySQL_manager it just loads empty. Making database usage a bit of a pain for users.

http://<ip>:2030/user/index.php?module=mysql_manager

Did you do anything else to get yours to work?

LN

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 04:36:58 AM »
Ignore this, I will provide more information.

The socat connection appears to be working at least on the root_cwp database. Using 'mysql' from the command line with an appropriate user name (without host) appeared to work, but without did not.

Ah ha. Root users ~/.my.cnf needs to have a valid remote user name in it. Totally overlooked this.

LN