Author Topic: Can`t install CentOS7  (Read 9997 times)

Can`t install CentOS7
« on: September 11, 2017, 03:26:10 PM »
Hi people,
I have one old rig HP ProLiant DL380 G5 with 2xQuad Core Xeon @ 3.00GHz, HP Smart Array P400, 32GB DDR2 ECC RAM, 2x73GB SAS 15k RPM + 6x500GB SATA III, 2xGigabit LAN + 2x1000W PSU. Today I tried to install CentOS 7 on it and guess what - it didn`t see my hard drives. None of them. I was reading on centos.org that they support P400 iscsi drivers, but not on the installer. I switched off the RAID Controler - the same, still no HDDs. How I`m supposed to install CentOS 7 when it doesn`t see my hard drives? and later to install the drivers for them? WTF? More strange thing is that on CentOS6 Minimal install it see all my hard drives with RAID 1+0 on. For me it`s strange that old version of RHEL based Linux supports SCSI/SAS/SATA and the new version doesn`t. If anybody have an idea how to install CentOS7 on SAS/SATA HDD please tell me.
UNIX is a very simple OS, but you have to be a GENIUS to understand it ...

Re: Can`t install CentOS7
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »
you will probably need to load that drivers as this servers are old now...I had the same issue with that server long time ago.

try checking this instructions
https://tears.io/2016/01/03/installing-centos7-on-hp-dl380/
VPS & Dedicated server provider with included FREE Managed support for CWP.
http://www.studio4host.com/

*** Don't allow that your server or website is down, choose hosting provider with included expert managed support for your CWP.

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 04:29:17 AM »
Thanks for the info. I will try it as soon as possible. I hope it`s going to work.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 05:13:05 AM »
Everything went ok on the installation. Than I fixed the grub config. When it was booting on the 3 color lines the last one(white one) get to the end and get stucked for more than an 35minutes. I will try again soon, but for the moment I stick on CentOS 6. :D

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 06:04:55 PM »
Question to studio4host:
I`m planning to buy a bit better rig than this old HP ProLiant DL380 G5 with the plan to host just an online shop and a WHMCS. The future rig is:
FUJITSU PRIMERGY RX600 S5
CPU: 4 x Intel Xeon Octa-Core X7560 (2.27GHz, Up to 2.67GHz, 24MB L3 Cache)
RAM: 131072MB (128GB) DDR3 ECC Registered (Up to 1024GB)
RAID: 8 Port SAS RAID 0/1 or RAID 5/6 Controller
LAN: 4 x 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
USB/RJ: 6xUSB 2.0, VGA, 4xRJ-45, Serial Port
PSU: 4 x 850W
Do you think that CentOS 7 and future CentOS 8 will install on this stuff without problems and having to do stuff in the installer? And also do you think that this rig will be enough for an online shop and WHMCS?

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 12:28:54 PM »
all depends on your visitor number and scripts you will use for your shop, as we all know webshops are often slow and take high resources if you have higher number of visitors....so without testing you will no know.

However, if you want to be more secure and get guaranteed uptime then you should think about using multiple servers connected into clusters but you can migrate later if you will need something like that and if you will need even higher performances.

Don't forget that nobody doesn't like slow web shop and if the web shop is slow then you only lose clients, so think in front about memchache for sessions..., php  cache, high performance disk with ssd and even raid controller cache if you want to use dedicated server.
VPS & Dedicated server provider with included FREE Managed support for CWP.
http://www.studio4host.com/

*** Don't allow that your server or website is down, choose hosting provider with included expert managed support for your CWP.

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 05:25:20 PM »
The info you gave me did the job with one little note from me. Nowhere is said that if you use the Minimal install CD this will not work. I downloaded Everything DVD and like this I could install it. If someone wants to try to download Everything DVD and there to select Minimal Install.