Author Topic: Reduce server response time [Anyone Else?]  (Read 12510 times)

Reduce server response time [Anyone Else?]
« on: June 22, 2018, 02:37:37 AM »
First I want to apologize because I am not sure where to post this under.

I tested my websites with Google PageSpeed and found that all of my website and every single page got this suggestion from Google "Reduce server response time". I know it's not my WordPress template because I was using another control panel before that and I did the exact test and passed with 100. I worked very hard for it.

So to test this even more I tried with another VPS hosting. I installed CWP. Same thing "Reduce server response time".

I wanted to know if anyone else is having this issue. But I don't know anyone using CWP. So I tested http://centos-webpanel.com/ and https://centos-webpanel.com/ and there it is "Reduce server response time".

Edit: Sorry, I was wrong about that html page (deleted comment). I didn't get the "Reduce server response time" suggestion. I guess it was cached. Anyways, all the other issues still stand. I cannot pass that "Reduce server response time" suggestion.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:39:35 AM by monkeyking »

Re: Reduce server response time [Anyone Else?]
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 07:41:27 AM »
After farther investigation, I've learned that it's Varnish. On my old control panel I didn't use Varnish. I was using a WordPress cache plugin. For some reasons Varnish and Contact Form 7 together is causing this suggestion from PageSpeed.

After deactivated CF7, no more suggestion. If use CF7 then don't use Varnish instead use cache plugin, no more suggestion.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 07:26:49 AM »
I take back on the last comment. I was wrong. I have spend two weeks or more on this issue and the answer was just right under my noise.

I recently used Cloudflare for DDoS protection because it was recommended by my new host. I didn't think must of it afterward.

Well, it turned out Cloudflare was the cause. You can read about it here. https://blog.cloudflare.com/ttfb-time-to-first-byte-considered-meaningles/

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 08:07:57 PM »
Here is something funky I am wondering about. I install speedtest addon and run the tests either through cwp or just ssh and the highest speeds I get are just under 4MBPS. I am on a AT&T business 20GB up and down fiber. I will test in the morning with a windows computer plugged into same spot as my CWP is now but every other computer get close to 18gb up and down. it's crazy. I am about 1 day from trashing CWP. How do they even label this as stable. Every day new problem. Over messing with it constantly. Now the file manager don't work, SERIOUSLY, do they do this to try to get some business from people to purchase support?

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 02:59:33 AM »
Yeah, I get the frustration. It does seem like everything they want you to contact support. When you do contact support they tried to tell you that CWP & CWPpro don't come with support. You have to pay for support.

And it the forum, we have a bunch of people that are lost and putting their hairs.

I'm looking for a free control panel but if I'm going to pay for support everyday or monthly then I will just pay for cPanel. It is as you said "crazy"!

I am thinking about trying Vesta but I just moved to CWP 3 weeks ago. Also just upgraded to pro. It's so much of a pain to keep on moving as it effect my business.

Anyways, my issue with "Reduce server response time (TTFB)" was cause my Cloudflare. I stop using Cloudflare even though there was an increase in load time. But I think as for SEO, Google seem to care enough about TTFB that they have it on PageSpeed. This is just my opinion. Maybe load time is not as important as TTFB if your load is acceptable. Google cares for user experience. User hate to wait.

Anyways, you sound experienced with servers. I am not. I simply learn as needed for my websites. Have you tried Vesta? I like CWP because it already configured with varnish+ngnix+apache. I can't do it on my own. But I see a lot people voted for Vesta over CWP at lowendtalk by a huge margin.

By the way, I've just updated. File manager working now.

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 08:16:58 AM »
UPDATE: To solve this TTFB with Cloudflare you have to do cache everything in page rules. It's kinda of a pain if you have login pages. It will be a problem. You just have to set rules not to cache your login pages.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 05:19:59 PM »
I know this old thread but I think varnish is a waste of time unless server has lots of spare resources....it loads my server up too much and then causes instability due to low memory and massive overuse of cpu. It might speed up website load times, but it hammers the server in the process.

I ran server load tests using paessler tool and found just running Palin jinx is best...and even that it not as stable as openlightspeed running on cyberpanel.

I wish centos web panel would offer open lightspeed! It has a much better performance and excellent stability with its built in cache capability and on wp websites using the dedicated wordpress lightspeed cache plugin.

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 06:00:27 AM »
Hello.

You can use nginx+PHP-FPM 7.x
You can ask me to solve any problem with your server for some money in pm  ;)
Services Monitoring & RBL Monitoring
http://centos-webpanel.com/services-monitor
Join our Development Team and get paid !
http://centos-webpanel.com/develope-modules-for-cwp

Installation Instructions
http://centos-webpanel.com/installation-instructions
Get Fast Support Here
http://centos-webpanel.com/support-services

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2023, 01:20:32 AM »
Im using Nginx & Varnish & Apache

So if im understanding , removing Varnish will speed things up for a simple wordpress?

I achieve great times when i develop, but the Wordpress sites are always a pain with a lot of CSS, JS that they dont use. Is there any recommendation for that? like cahing on varnish on a specific way?

Thanks i know this is an old post.

PS: I have payed for support for this some times and support always claims that the problem is on Wordpress (which I know already and thats no really helpfull, so i wouldnt recommend support for this kind of issue, its a shame)

But i love support for other more specific issues. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 01:22:06 AM by Monclee »

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 07:22:31 AM »
Our company hosts numerous Wordpress based websites served by Nginx+Apache (php-fpm). Additionally we recommend to install caching plugin like TotalCache for each Wordpress website:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/w3-total-cache/
The chaing nginx+apache+caching plugin shows very good results.

I think the default Varnish config isn't so good. To get excellent performance using Nginx+Varnish+Apache  you need to customize the Varnish config according to the requirements of your website.

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2023, 01:25:48 PM »
Varnish is only needed if you need to milk every drop of performance out of your server -- but be advised you will need to create a custom .vcl config for your particular use case. Whatever CMS or engine you employ for your site, it will need proper tuning. It's not an impossible task, but probably not beginner level and generally not necessary unless your site is large or database-heavy where it would benefit from varnish's particular caching. Otherwise, if running WP -- by all means use a caching plugin, just be watchful for security vulnerabilities that crop up from time to time. Stay up to date with your plugins. If you use Cloudflare as your infrastructure provider (as I do), make use of their available CMS resource. You may want to consider making use of Cloudflare's specific $5/mo WP plan for maximum performance.

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2023, 05:06:04 AM »
enable cache, chose a different server location, optimize your website code, and increase website resources