Author Topic: /dev/mapper/cl-root running out of space  (Read 29954 times)

/dev/mapper/cl-root running out of space
« on: February 07, 2020, 06:33:03 PM »
Hello, I have had this server up and running for about 3 months now and I noticed that the /dev/mapper/cl-root partition is getting used up rather quickly. At this rate, the partition may be out of space in a couple more months. What's in that partition? Can the data be moved or removed? I'm not familiar with Linux at all, so please bear with my ignorance; I am trying to learn. Thanks!

Re: /dev/mapper/cl-root running out of space
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 06:50:50 PM »
Shakes head.
That's your root partition! Time for you to read up on linux, extensively.
Why are you even posting under "Control Web Panel » WebPanel » CentOS 7 Problems "? This is a total lack of knowledge on your part.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 06:53:54 PM by ejsolutions »

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 07:32:00 PM »
Shakes head.
That's your root partition! Time for you to read up on linux, extensively.
Why are you even posting under "Control Web Panel » WebPanel » CentOS 7 Problems "? This is a total lack of knowledge on your part.

Thank for the thoughtful reply. I understand that I do not know much or anything about Linux, which is why I am trying to learn about it. If you have some resources I can read up on, that would be helpful. Otherwise your reply is not helpful and meaningless.

So it's the root partition, thanks for that. How can I find out what's taking up the space in that partition?

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 07:48:40 PM »
Unsurprisingly, you've missed the whole point, as do some other recent posters to this forum. It's a CWP forum, not a general linux one, of which there must be many. I'm not about to handhold on the fundamentals of *nix.
I'm sure you can point your smartphone at Google for that.

Harsh, yes but the resources are all there for you to find.
Why not start by installing Linux Mint on your PC (if you have one) and follow tutorials on that - just a suggestion.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 08:20:30 PM »
Unsurprisingly, you've missed the whole point, as do some other recent posters to this forum. It's a CWP forum, not a general linux one, of which there must be many...

Copy... I'll figure it out, thanks.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 06:29:35 PM »
I just wanted to follow up on this post in case anyone else runs into a similar issue. So upon further reading and trying to gain an understanding of Linux partitions and mapping, I found what I was looking for.

The root partition was filling up, and quickly at that. I wasn't sure what was taking up all the space, so I went digging to find out what it was. There's a neat command that will show you what it taking up space and with that I was able to see that my backups were filling up the root partition.

That command that showed me where the issue was is:

Code: [Select]
cd /

du -sch *

which  gave the following results:

As you can see, the backup directory was taking up quite a bit of space. So I made some adjustments on my backup process and deleted the backups and now my root partition is in good working order.

Anyway, I just wanted to post in case this may be useful for someone else. And if you are more knowledgeable than I am on the subject, then please post a better way of approaching this. I'd love to read about it and learn more. Thanks!

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 06:56:37 PM »
Further reading of previous posts on this forum, regarding backups, will furnish you with ideas/potential solutions.  ::)
Maybe people will realise why it's better to have a /backup logical partition, maybe not.

Example 1: (Limited space, live site)
Filesystem                    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/system-root    7.8G  4.5G  2.9G  62% /
/dev/vda1                  488M  148M  305M  33% /boot
/dev/mapper/system-home     14G  230M   13G   2% /home
/dev/mapper/system-backup  4.0G  772M  3.0G  21% /backup
/dev/mapper/system-tmp     2.0G   14M  1.9G   1% /tmp
Example 2: (development server)
Filesystem                    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/centos_ny-root    5.8G  4.2G  1.4G  77% /
/dev/vda1                     488M  189M  264M  42% /boot
/dev/mapper/centos_ny-home     40G  822M   37G   3% /home
/dev/mapper/centos_ny-backup  6.0G  123M  5.5G   3% /backup
/dev/mapper/centos_ny-tmp     2.0G  3.2M  1.9G   1% /tmp
/dev/mapper/centos_ny-var     3.9G  1.3G  2.4G  35% /var
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 07:05:59 PM by ejsolutions »

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 10:59:02 AM »
we recommend you to get another disk for only backup purpose. Partition on same disk doesn't useful
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 11:02:02 AM by Sandeep »

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 11:10:20 AM »
Yes and no.
A local backup partition is useful, for quickly restoring errors made on websites - using a second drive only helps with Load/performance.
It does not replace the need for remote/offsite backups.

I speak with some authority on the matter, unlike many.

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 11:13:55 AM »
 if the root  "/" is gone then your local backups will be gone too. And yes for quick backups local backups are good to go but doesn't ensure you to 100%

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 11:23:28 AM »
if the root  "/" is gone then your local backups will be gone too.
Incorrect generalisation. The OS can be wiped from root, whilst a backup partition remains available.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 11:24:39 AM »
if the disk is completely corrupted how you wipe it ha ha ha ha ha stop making your GOD words :P

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 11:28:27 AM »
if the disk is completely corrupted how you wipe it ha ha ha ha ha stop making your GOD words :P
Now you are changing the context of your previous comment. A wiped/corrupt "/" is not the same as a corrupt disc.
Reliable backups and Disaster Recovery are not a trivial nor laughing matter.  ::)

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 12:25:48 PM »
can you add data beyond root "/" if you didn't have any other partition/disk ?
and think  the root /" is completely gone  and major hosting doesn't allow you to recover that data as in terms and condition they always say data safety is customer's things not ours :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 12:42:24 PM by Sandeep »

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 02:07:13 PM »
ejsolutions SHAME ON YOU

The way you talk to people, your tone and your attitude are all disgusting. Everybody learns somewhere. It's obvious that there is a lack of knowledge because a question is being asked. Being mean doesn't help.

How do you expect people to learn when you reply like that?
What part of insulting people helps the problem?

You are the worst kind of teacher and you don't belong on this forum until you learn some manners.

I joined this forum to offer and share advice, but if you are typical of users this will be my one comment and I'll delete my account.

Pathetic human.