Author Topic: cpanel -> cwp migration issue  (Read 4964 times)

cpanel -> cwp migration issue
« on: February 10, 2020, 08:34:43 AM »
I am looking to switch from cpanel and was hoping to make the move to cwp but I am struggling to get the migration to work. It just gives a pop up saying "Connection not reached  the following error occurred." nothing other than that. When looking on my cpanel server I am getting the following:

Feb 10 03:18:30 cp-prod01 sshd[25120]: pam_unix(sshd:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ssh ruser= rhost=xxx.xxx.40.139  user=root
Feb 10 03:18:32 cp-prod01 sshd[25120]: Failed password for root from xxx.xxx.40.139 port 34082 ssh2

I have check and checked again and found no issues with the password. I have even tried setting new ones and testing with no luck. I also tested ssh to cwp then from cwp to my cpanel server and that works fine. Anyone have anything else I should check?

Re: cpanel -> cwp migration issue
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 08:54:22 AM »
Best to generate an rsa key and use it instead of a password.
Google Hangouts:  rcschaff82@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 10:16:42 AM »
I had the same problem, the support team has already solved it on my server. They told me that it is fixed in the next update.
Partner de CWP

Hosting de calidad en Espaņa con soporte en Espaņol para CWP - https://www.coriaweb.hosting

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 12:40:41 PM »
Best to generate an rsa key and use it instead of a password.

I do have keys setup is there a way to do the migration that way? I usually never use password based logins for ssh but I did not see another way of running it.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 12:47:41 PM »
port 34082
Opened on both firewalls?
SSH Password Authorization Tweak enabled (temporarily) in WHM?
/root/.ssh/authorized_keys added on WHM, for the CWP box?
Port 2304 opened on CWP?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 12:54:04 PM by ejsolutions »

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 01:08:41 PM »
Already did the tweak adjustment, I can ssh from whm box to cwp via password or keys they both work. port 34082 is the dynamic port negotiated so no need to open there. I know there is nothing blocking it as that is the sshd logs from whm seeing it. It just always shows incorrect password no matter what I put in.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 01:29:21 PM »
It's not FTP - ssh uses a static port, which should be allowed at both ends. However if you can ssh in via shell, then that appears to be setup OK.
IF I get time later today, I'll do a test migration. At the moment, I'm fighting with a CWP->CWP email migration!

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 09:10:51 PM »
Have tried to setup the transfer, to no avail. In other words I can concur that it doesn't work. I've previously advised to scp a backup from WHM to CSP,then restore it.

Connection not reached

The following error occurred

Note the super helpful error message.  ???

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 10:18:01 PM »
This command on the new cwp server solved the problem for me:
     ssh-copy-id root@my.cpanel.server.ip

After this command, you should be able to ssh to the cPanel server without being prompted for a password.