Author Topic: Main Domain and Managing  (Read 12592 times)

Main Domain and Managing
« on: April 16, 2015, 08:58:32 PM »
Quick question, I searched the forums a bit but couldn't really find what I was looking for and I'm noob when it comes to this panel stuff, CWP seems to be the least scary of all the ones out there. (if it's already out there sorry)

I just setup CWP, what I want to know is that I had to designate a FQDN and Hostname to the server. For example mines is NYC1.example.com.

How do I manage that domain of example.com?

What I want to do is host web pages and specialty panels from that domain, do I do this as the Root user or do I simply create a new user account for that domain and manage it that way?

My end game of what I'm trying to do is setup so that if you direct IP or go to www.example.com it'll direct users to MY website so that other users can register and buy web packages from me.

Sorry if I'm not asking this correctly and hopefully it makes sense what I'm trying to do.

-BlockHead

Re: Main Domain and Managing
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 06:31:11 AM »
Hi there

Dont confuse the servers fqdn and a domain name , you would still need to add a "user" which will allow you to add a domain for that user , and then you can manage the domain there

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 12:52:48 PM »
Hi there

Dont confuse the servers fqdn and a domain name , you would still need to add a "user" which will allow you to add a domain for that user , and then you can manage the domain there

Hi Glenn,

To clarify what you are saying if I wanted to manage my domain at example.com (which the server is sitting on) then I need to add that domain with a user account and go from there?

A lot of what I have read has recommended against modifying the contents of the public_html folder the first web page sits.

So basically I myself will have two accounts? Root to manage Server and Services and User account to Manage the website?

I simply can't do both as the root account?

Is that right?

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 03:01:01 PM »
I believe that is correct, that's exactly how i have my websites set up, has if you try to add a domain has a root user you need to assign it to a user account.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »
Yup thats correct root will allow you cwp login but it has no domain , in order to use a domain you would have to add one , the website directory will be created in home/websitename so you wouldnt need to change any config or file in htdocs