Author Topic: Huge amount of emails under "new email accounts"  (Read 5402 times)

Huge amount of emails under "new email accounts"
« on: May 22, 2020, 07:57:30 AM »
Hi there,

First of all - I'm not using CWP for email.
Thus, when I check this morning for large files on my server, I was shocked to see the following:

Code: [Select]
/var/log/messages: 892M
So I went to CWP's email panel and under Mail Explorer I've found hundreds if not thousands of email (see attached 1st screenshot). Clicking on each doesn't give much (see 2nd screenshot). Seems to me like empty emails with no details whatsoever.
A. Why is this happening?
B. What should I do with them?
C. Can I delete them and how?

TIA.

Re: Huge amount of emails under "new email accounts"
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 09:23:25 AM »
Hi there,

First of all - I'm not using CWP for email.
Thus, when I check this morning for large files on my server, I was shocked to see the following:

Code: [Select]
/var/log/messages: 892M
So I went to CWP's email panel and under Mail Explorer I've found hundreds if not thousands of email (see attached 1st screenshot). Clicking on each doesn't give much (see 2nd screenshot). Seems to me like empty emails with no details whatsoever.
A. Why is this happening?
B. What should I do with them?
C. Can I delete them and how?

TIA.

Ummm.   Maybe you shouldn't be running a server if you don't know what /var/log/messages is.  JS.

Mail is in /var/vmail...

as for taking care of the issue, if you're not running CWP as a mailserver, disable postfix and dovecot.  Then you will have to use stmp mail for any php scripts to your actual mail server.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:25:05 AM by rcschaff »
Google Hangouts:  rcschaff82@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 09:34:12 AM »

Ummm.   Maybe you shouldn't be running a server if you don't know what /var/log/messages is.  JS.

Oops... correct you are. I didn't notice it's under log folder. My bad.

as for taking care of the issue, if you're not running CWP as a mailserver, disable postfix and dovecot.  Then you will have to use stmp mail for any php scripts to your actual mail server.

Thanks. But how can I remove these and why are they under "new email accounts" and not under a specific account?

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 10:20:19 AM »
Chances are that the snuck in before postfix was hardened, and there is no account associated on the server with them.  YOu can safely remove them. there should be a folder under /var/vmail or /var/mail for the "new acct"
Google Hangouts:  rcschaff82@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 12:10:15 PM »
Chances are that the snuck in before postfix was hardened, and there is no account associated on the server with them.  YOu can safely remove them. there should be a folder under /var/vmail or /var/mail for the "new acct"
Thank you so much!
I've found 2801 files under /var/vmail/new, dated 2016 to SEP 2019.