Author Topic: Virtual machine install with redirect issues  (Read 1812 times)

Virtual machine install with redirect issues
« on: November 20, 2022, 04:04:52 PM »
I have a few servers setup with just CWP installed and on a dedicated external ip for each.
I have to move one server and I have run out of server space on a few of the servers. So I thought why not install CWP as a VM and I can then move those accounts over to the VM version of CWP until the physical server is brought down and recommissioned.
So I'm running virtualisation (Proxmox 7) and have successfully installed a vm with Centos7 and CWP.
Because I have other dockers and vm's on that server I run Nginx Proxy Manager to deal with the incoming dns requests.
I think I've shot myself in the foot as if I allow NPM (Nginx Proxy Manager) to redirect external requests to the ip that CWP resides (the virtual machine) then I can't resolve requests within CWP like mail, ftp and so on as I guess Nginx within CWP isn't handling the proxies.
So I thought, why not forget NPM altogether but then any external request to CWP isn't forwarded on to CWP and you get nowhere.
Has anyone any idea how best to set up CWP independently to other resources so that dns requests can be handled by CWP?

Re: Virtual machine install with redirect issues
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 07:30:09 PM »
Have you looked into cloudflare tunnel or Truenas?
Listen to everything Pixelpadre says.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 01:04:36 PM »
Hello,

I understand that you are facing some challenges with setting up CWP (CentOS Web Panel) independently on a virtual machine (VM) while also using Nginx Proxy Manager (NPM) for handling incoming DNS requests. You mentioned that if you redirect external requests to the IP of the CWP VM using NPM, you are unable to resolve requests within CWP for services like mail and FTP because Nginx within CWP isn't handling the proxies.

To ensure that DNS requests can be handled by CWP, one approach could be to configure NPM to proxy the specific services (mail, FTP, etc.) within CWP instead of redirecting all requests to the CWP VM. This way, NPM can still handle the incoming DNS requests, and the necessary services within CWP can function properly.

Consider adjusting the NPM configuration to selectively proxy requests for the services you need within CWP, while allowing other requests to reach CWP directly. This should help you achieve the desired setup with CWP handling DNS requests effectively.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 02:53:41 AM »
What's with these new AI bots posting to the forum? Is someone experimenting with ChatGPT and seeing if it offers valid advice?