Author Topic: Backup Beta, ** not backing up databases **  (Read 1435 times)

Backup Beta, ** not backing up databases **
« on: September 02, 2023, 01:10:15 AM »
so, server went down today, was going to move all data to a new web host but found the backups to be incomplete and did not include the database, checking to see if there is a known bug?

Re: Backup Beta, ** not backing up databases **
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 01:34:57 AM »
Database backups are under:
 /backup/mysql
->daily
->weekly
->monthly

While normal backups are kept under:
/backup
->daily
->weekly
->monthly

Database backups are usually restored using phpMyAdmin under the SQL Services tab.

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 07:48:04 AM »
checking the paths you provide on the remote service, the database backups dont exist and they are ticked.. local yes the backups exist but it doesnt help if whole server is down?

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 08:06:18 PM »
image your server off-site, as well as periodic rsync backups or otherwise offsite. I also have a script to dump every SQL database to a discrete file periodically that can then be backed up off site. If you're not backed up in triplicate, you're not really backed up...

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 06:26:04 PM »
Overseer is correct, periotic offsite backups should be done if your whole server crashes.

We do a complete image every month also.
You never know when an update may go bad.

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 06:26:53 PM »
a pretty easy way is to install the veeam backup agent and make bare metal and also incremental backups using it.

This is easy and can also be done on a normal NAS like Synology or QNAP if you are not a business user with tons of servers and possibilities.

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2023, 07:50:18 PM »
a pretty easy way is to install the veeam backup agent and make bare metal and also incremental backups using it.

This is easy and can also be done on a normal NAS like Synology or QNAP if you are not a business user with tons of servers and possibilities.

That is a good option for business users that can afford a high monthly cost of a bare metal.

Most providers offer imaging service or backups either as part of the monthly fee or pay per GB.
Which is usually cheaper, unless you have a ton of images.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2023, 09:08:08 AM »

That is a good option for business users that can afford a high monthly cost of a bare metal.

Most providers offer imaging service or backups either as part of the monthly fee or pay per GB.
Which is usually cheaper, unless you have a ton of images.

I am just hosting for fun my and a few websites for friends.

I have a NAS and the veeam backup agent is free, so i do bare metal backups without monthly costs.
All you need is some Space but the normal veeam backup agent for linux is free and can do baremetal backups