Author Topic: CWP7-PR0+wordpress+Plugin WebP  (Read 1270 times)

CWP7-PR0+wordpress+Plugin WebP
« on: August 10, 2023, 05:44:24 PM »
I'm having trouble using the WebP Express plugin.

Code: [Select]
It seems your server setup does not support headers in .htaccess. You should either fix this (install mod_headers) or deactivate the "Enable direct redirection to existing converted images?" option. Otherwise the Vary:Accept header will not be added and this can result in problems for users behind proxy servers (ie used in larger companies)

Re: CWP7-PR0+wordpress+Plugin WebP
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 09:37:19 PM »
What distro are you running?

Are you running Apache, Nginx, Combo of both?

How was WordPress installed?

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 09:53:01 PM »
Nginx+Varnish+Apache.
CDN cloudflare.
Default wordpress installation.
A similar error happens when using the Smush Pro plugin.

Code: [Select]
We tried different rules but your server still isn't serving WebP images. Please contact your hosting provider for further assistance. You can also see our troubleshooting guide or contact support for help.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 11:19:21 PM »
Well that explains some of your errors.

Nginx does not recognize .htaccess files.
.htaccess only works with Apache Only. And Nginx config doesn't work with Apache.
And then you have added Varnish into the mix.

So you'll either have to choose Apache Only, or will need an experienced WordPress SysAdmin to manually configure things with Nginx, since it gets real complicated with manual config edits/conversions.

Unfortunately there is no 'Default' WordPress Installation, it's manual script install, via Softaculous, or the Addon tool in the user panel, which assumes Apache Only.

THEN you have CloudFlare doing their rewrites, depending on how you have their Security features setup.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 11:49:34 PM »
If you do try to DIY, then start by following this Nginx recipe:
https://www.nginx.com/resources/wiki/start/topics/recipes/wordpress/
I run several WP installs using this basic recipe, with perhaps only a few small tweaks. And as Starbust intimated, I would suggest removing Varnish from your toolchain. It only adds complexity for relatively little benefit, unless you have fast storage or ample RAM to throw at caching. I usually recommend people only use if they really, really need to milk that last 10-20% out of their server and have the resources to throw at it. Better is a WP cache paired with Cloudflare, but that's best done after the install & development phase when you transition over to performance tuning.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 03:09:00 PM »
Well that explains some of your errors.

Nginx does not recognize .htaccess files.
.htaccess only works with Apache Only. And Nginx config doesn't work with Apache.
And then you have added Varnish into the mix.

So you'll either have to choose Apache Only, or will need an experienced WordPress SysAdmin to manually configure things with Nginx, since it gets real complicated with manual config edits/conversions.

Unfortunately there is no 'Default' WordPress Installation, it's manual script install, via Softaculous, or the Addon tool in the user panel, which assumes Apache Only.

THEN you have CloudFlare doing their rewrites, depending on how you have their Security features setup.

Hello thanks for helping to solve my problem. I only activated Apache and it still gave an error.