Author Topic: Why is this project closed source?  (Read 11568 times)

Why is this project closed source?
« on: April 24, 2019, 04:54:46 PM »
Hi,

Why is everything in this project closed source? it's completely unattractive for developers to make plugins for cwp and make themes. since everything is behind a compression. Want to edit and develop add-ons for this project and make a new theme however the compression is making it impossible. i know its nowadays easy to get rid of the compression but still why? i can understand certain core elements are decoded
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:13:59 PM by netorigin »

Re: Why is this project closed source?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 10:16:50 AM »
Please open up some files at least, like Add-ons since its using open source. Want to be able to add and remove a supported project of my own choice. And please release language EN and themes via GitHub. Just please open up some files to make plugin support even better for this project.

Don't get me wrong, I really like this project I have switched from cpanel to this because of the comparison and giving me the ability to change things I want to change.. however now when it's running live on my server i noticed that this project is even more closed than cpanel is. So please open up some files to make support better, the support page about cwp is very vague and not direct if

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 09:20:00 AM »
+1 for this suggestion.

I wish that this project be open for all and I am sure it will be developed and improved very quickly as compared of now. Everyone will be able to contribute in it and thus more secure and quick development.

I hope that CWP team will think about it.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 07:48:34 PM »
I think it's mainly due to security (so people can't find possible exploit vectors to easily), I expected to be able to see the files myself when I installed, and actually learn how things are working, but I guess that's a no, no with CWP, which is very disappointing.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 10:27:29 PM »
Its been sold to a european company.  I suspect that they are moving towards commercial version.

Has anyone tried Apache Guacamole?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 10:29:13 PM by pixelpadre »

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 12:38:49 PM »
Hi all

Effectively the code is obfuscated, but this does not prevent new modules or themes for admin or user from being developed, here is the documentation for these developments.

https://docs.control-webpanel.com/docs/developer-tools/custom-modules

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 10:36:12 PM »
Sudio4Host bought out the control panel.  I believe they have a connection to ovh.com.  Ownership is also obfuscated.  :)

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 02:50:44 PM »
The url: https://docs.control-webpanel.com/docs/developer-tools/ is very helpful however, how do i add menu items cleanly into the menu, is there a specific way to do this without losing them in a new build of cwppro?

Is this all done via a clone of the theme?

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 09:11:37 PM »
Its been sold to a european company.  I suspect that they are moving towards commercial version.

Has anyone tried Apache Guacamole?

CWP hasnt been sold to any company.STUDIO 4 HOST supports the developers of CWP

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 10:43:31 AM »
I havent seen any posts from the original admin in a few years

Denial of ownership
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 10:48:23 AM »
Interesting terms of service for using centos cwp

Terms of Service

CentOS Web Panel License Info

This is free software presented to the public by the software developer.

It is free to use by everyone, however it is not allowed to modify or use any part of the code for any 3rd party application without a written authorization and consent of the main developer.

Reverse Engineering: You may not alter, merge, modify, prepare derivative works based upon, adapt or translate the Software in any manner whatsoever. Additionally, You may not decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or otherwise reduce the Software to any human-readable form, or use the Software to develop any application having the same primary functions as the Software.

No-Warranty: The Software is provided without any warranty; Software developer hereby disclaims any warranty that the Software shall be error free, without defects or code which may cause damage to computers, and that Software shall be functional. Software user shall be solely liable to any damage, defect or loss incurred as a result of operating software and undertake the risks contained in running The Software on License’s Server and Website.

STUDIO 4 HOST
10000 ZAGREB, ROGICEVA 28
CROATIA EU